Userlevel 4
Badge

App has been upgraded,  We onlu have IOS no access to Mac or Windows,

Lost ability to use alarms etc 

Can we reverse upgrade and go back?

New app is awful! so user non friendly 

Jamie A 5 days ago

Hi all,

With the latest update, alarms are now available in the Sonos app. You’ll need the latest version of the Sonos app and speaker firmware to have them show, and steps are posted in the Sonos App Redesign AMA, which are:

1. Update your app to:
    1. iOS: 80.00.08 - available now in the App Store
    2. Android: 80.00.05 - available now in the Play Store
  2. Update your firmware to 79.0-52294 - available now via the Sonos App:
    1. Tap the settings gear in the top right
    2. Select “Manage” next to your system name
    3. Select System Updates
    4. Select Check for Updates
  3. Launch the Sonos app twice in order to guarantee we fetch the latest feature flags:
    1. Start the Sonos app
    2. Force quit the app
    3. Start the Sonos app again

Once you’ve performed the above, you’ll find alarms in the Sonos app under System Settings (⚙️) → Manage → Alarms.

You can view the current roadmap on our article for Future Feature Updates in the New Sonos App and also in the Release Notes for Sonos software updates.

If you have any further feedback to share, please continue to share it the main topic for the New Sonos App linked below or any relevant threads on the community:

View original

147 replies

Really frustrated that the updated app does not have the alarm function. Used this everyday. When is it going to return? In the future is not an acceptable response. 

I just want to add to my frustration about the app “upgrade?!!” losing the alarm function. What were you thinking SONOS? It’s clear that you don’t make any attempt to listen to your customers and make decisions not based on their needs, as otherwise you’d have known how important this function was to us. We paid for the products and you’ve made them worse. That’s incredibly arrogant and definitely not a way to keep customers going forward.

Userlevel 5
Badge

I am super frustrated also- is there a way to undo this update?  It’s literally the worst AND you cannot select “Play next” when changing up your que on a song- you are stuck exactly with the playlist that you put on.  Also- there’s a delay on volume and a delay when you go to start a different song.  Super frustrated 

BRING BACK THE ALARM FEATURE IN THE APP UPDATE.

What a ridiculous update. Way to actively make the product worse for no reason.

I took advantage of the opportunity to schedule in advance the time at which the scheduled music would be played. With the new version of the Android application, this possibility disappeared. Anyone know what to do?

How in the hell do you turn alarms off when the functionality was removed?! Are we expected to just put up with this until some point in the future Sonos gets around to fixing it?

How in the hell do you turn alarms off when the functionality was removed?! Are we expected to just put up with this until some point in the future Sonos gets around to fixing it?

Here’s one option that some users are now using…

Fixing Alarms

Maybe this will perhaps help some users that are having an issue with an existing alarm. It requires either a PC, or Mac, with the Desktop controller installed (available HERE)

See below:

Sonos app for macOS or Windows

1. Click Alarms from the bottom of the Select a Music Source pane on the right side of the Sonos app.
  2. To edit an existing alarm, click the name of the alarm, then click Edit.
  3. Set your Time, Room, Music, Frequency and Volume settings.
  4. Click OK to save the alarm

Hope you’re able to sort it. 👍

Much appreciated!

Userlevel 1

And it gets worse!!! I haven’t used my iPad in a while so when I powered it up and attempted to use my old Sonos S2 app (before the new update), the iPad app won’t work at all and says I need to update. I obviously missed previous S2 updates.

I have NO ACCESS to my alarms. The ONLY SOLUTION to turn off an alarm not currently needed is TO UNPLUG THE SPEAKER. Who in the hell decided this?????? They need to be fired. This is pure BS!!!!!!

Userlevel 1

Here’s one option that some users are now using…

Fixing Alarms

Maybe this will perhaps help some users that are having an issue with an existing alarm. It requires either a PC, or Mac, with the Desktop controller installed (available HERE)

See below:

Sonos app for macOS or Windows

1. Click Alarms from the bottom of the Select a Music Source pane on the right side of the Sonos app.
  2. To edit an existing alarm, click the name of the alarm, then click Edit.
  3. Set your Time, Room, Music, Frequency and Volume settings.
  4. Click OK to save the alarm

Hope you’re able to sort it. 👍

What??? Sonos Desktop controllers (at least for Mac OS) went away a long time ago!!! There is no Sonos desktop controller!!!!!!!

The link worked and I was able to download the Mac OS controller.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for saying that.

I was able to download and install the Mac OS controller too.

Access to desktop controllers are not available from the main publicly available Sonos website. Seemingly, these desktop controllers are not intended to be used, but perhaps the recent alarm controversy caused someone to release a direct link to these old desktop controllers.

Anyway, I STILL CANNOT ACCESS MY ALARMS. I have at least 10 different alarms I toggle on and off as needed. When I click on “Alarms” in the lower right-hand corner of the Sonos Mac OS desktop controller, the resulting alarm dialog box that pops up is empty. Even though the desktop controller is connected to my system, none of my configured alarms are present. And I know they’re there...because they worked this morning and woke us up as intended. But I don’t need these alarms next week, and I cannot currently turn them off.

Thanks for saying that.

I was able to download and install the Mac OS controller too.

Access to desktop controllers are not available from the main publicly available Sonos website. Seemingly, these desktop controllers are not intended to be used, but perhaps the recent alarm controversy caused someone to release a direct link to these old desktop controllers.

Anyway, I STILL CANNOT ACCESS MY ALARMS. I have at least 10 different alarms I toggle on and off as needed. When I click on “Alarms” in the lower right-hand corner of the Sonos Mac OS desktop controller, the resulting alarm dialog box that pops up is empty. Even though the desktop controller is connected to my system, none of my configured alarms are present. And I know they’re there...because they worked this morning and woke us up as intended. But I don’t need these alarms next week, and I cannot currently turn them off.

The Sonos PC/Mac desktop controllers have always been available and have never been withdrawn by Sonos - and the link provided in my post (and below) is the official Sonos download site, just so that there is no misunderstanding here.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

Userlevel 1

The Sonos PC/Mac desktop controllers have always been available and have never been withdrawn by Sonos - and the link provided in my post (and below) is the official Sonos download site, just so that there is no misunderstanding here.

I see that now. Good to know, but my alarm problems still persist. I cannot access my already existing, configured alarms using the Mac OS desktop controller.

Has anyone else successfully accessed and/or edited already existing, configured Sonos alarms using the Mac OS desktop controller?

My Mac OS desktop controller does not allow me to access mine. In fact, the desktop controller does not detect any of my already existing, configured Sonos alarms. The “Manage Sonos Alarms” dialog box is completely blank.

I see that now. Good to know, but my alarm problems still persist. I cannot access my already existing, configured alarms using the Mac OS desktop controller.

Has anyone else successfully accessed and/or edited already existing, configured Sonos alarms using the Mac OS desktop controller?

My Mac OS desktop controller does not allow me to access mine. In fact, the desktop controller does not detect any of my already existing, configured Sonos alarms. The “Manage Sonos Alarms” dialog box is completely blank.

I don’t use Sonos alarms personally, (I just use Alexa alarms on Sonos instead), but many posters that have read my steps posted above and elsewhere, using the Desktop Controller App, reported back that they were able to access/edit their Sonos Alarms in other recent threads on this forum.

If you see your speakers in the old Desktop Controller App, then you should see the Sonos Alarms stored on them, unless you’re perhaps using Voice Assistant Alarms too and have perhaps confused the two… many users tend to sometimes do that. If not, then my thoughts are to reboot the network and switch off the firewall (temporarily) on the PC to see if that may resolve the matter. 🤞

Userlevel 1

New App is dreadful - can't find sleep function or how to set alarms along with other missing functions. Why change something that was working perfectly well. If it ain't broke don't fix it Grrr SONOS you need to sort this asap!!

Userlevel 1

As we all know by now the alarm function doesn’t work in the new app update. 

The suggestion that the Sonos app for macOS offers full control over your system’s alarms baffles me.There is no app in the MacOS App Store. I can log in online but this replicates the updated ios App for iPhone and still has no option to update the alarm. 

I cannot find any more information and the chatbot is only a waste of time. I’m unplugging by Sonos’ this evening. Unless there is some communication from Sonos tomorrow they will not be plugged in again, simply replaced by an alternative system. I have too much on with work, study and health going on at the moment, it is simply easier for me to pay to migrate to a new system than wate more time with an organisation that provides an ever diminishing customer experience. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We all want to know 1 thing.  WHEN will the alarm and sleep functions be returned?

We all want to know 1 thing.  WHEN will the alarm and sleep functions be returned?

Isn’t that two things?😀

This timeline below was posted by users in some threads in the community here, but I cannot find any real confirmation and these ‘speculative’ lists are ‘highly likely’ subject to change:

• Snooze Alarms - Coming in June
  • Sleep Timers - Coming in July
  • Find Missing Products Tool - Coming in July
  • Offline Devices - Coming in July
  • Queue & Playlist Editing - Coming in July

If I recall, there was an update coming May 21, but I couldn’t begin to say what might be included. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

So in addition to the music library being useless, the alarm and sleep timer missing, I have loads of content missing - services that you can't connect to, and hence radio stations that have disappeared amongst other. And when you just Google 'new app' the publicity articles that appeared are embarrassing 'everything is now on your Home page' except it's greyed out and doesn't play, and can't be restored. Or we get embarrassing messages about how a function can't be performed as there is content missing. They should be ashamed.

Userlevel 1

I don’t use Sonos alarms personally, (I just use Alexa alarms on Sonos instead), but many posters that have read my steps posted above and elsewhere, using the Desktop Controller App, reported back that they were able to access/edit their Sonos Alarms in other recent threads on this forum.

If you see your speakers in the old Desktop Controller App, then you should see the Sonos Alarms stored on them, unless you’re perhaps using Voice Assistant Alarms too and have perhaps confused the two… many users tend to sometimes do that. If not, then my thoughts are to reboot the network and switch off the firewall (temporarily) on the PC to see if that may resolve the matter. 🤞

I had already arrived at the course of action of removing Sonos from my network when you had sent this message. And that is what I did, removed all Sonos devices, in my case, 7 devices, completely from my network. I left them all powered down for over an hour (probably not needed, but I wasn’t in a rush and had other things going on). I also reset my Sonos desktop controller, disconnecting it from my system. 

After bringing up everything from scratch again, and reconnecting my desktop controller to my S2 system, all alarms were once again visible and able to be selected and edited.

While this is a satisfactory work-around, I stand by statements of the new app update being half-baked and not ready for prime time. How could it be with so much functionality missing? It was a blockhead move to put this update into production. It caused a lot of frustration and wasted time trying to restore what was previously available.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Didn’t you know? Sonos hates you. 

Userlevel 1

I’ve been playing with the new app, cleaning up my favorites and getting use to the new navigation. The app is growing on me. I might’ve been overly harsh in some of my posts. Sorry about that. I know it’s a massive undertaking to update and push out a new version of something like this. Probably many, many people working on this and mistakes and oversights are bound to happen. I know the Sonos team will get it right given time. If I didn’t appreciate the work Sonos does and the quality products they offer, I wouldn’t be the 14 year customer I’ve been.