Question

NAS or library removed from the new app???

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

It seems that the ability to play from a local library or a NAS server has been removed in the new app.
This has major consequences for us who play music in an Odd Fellow lodge that we ourselves have recorded and own.
This means that sonos is now completely useless to us.

It is a significant deterioration and means that we can no longer can use sonos at all, and must find a new alternative.

113 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Have tried all the available third party apps for iOS and the clear winner is SonoPhone. It’s especially good for use with a local NAS library, in fact arguably better than the old Sonos app in that regard!

Will be using that until Sonos get their act together or I move on to a different system. This update has ruined my whole experience and I am so angry - leaving poor (accurate) reviews wherever I can...

Thanks for the advice! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Found the area for local library. Added it under sources. However, anything else i need to do to the library has to be done on the Windows App. No searching on the android app . Plus no album artwork! Booo.

They messed this one up

I agree with the user of this thread the new updated app is really a regression when it comes to the NAS functionality, limited search capabilities, no album art, no indexing feature and no way to add new sources. 

This really sucks. Please give us back the previous version SONOS.

Userlevel 2

It looks like the only solution is to get an older version of the app. Make sure to shut off auto updates.  Aptiode works to find Android versions - Apple users are s.o.l., but that's nothing new ;)

Userlevel 3

-Uninstalled the latest version of the app.

-Installed the old archived version of the app (I'll be backing this up on my laptop, NAS drive, etc). Link here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/#downloads

-Turned off Sonos' updates in their app. 

-Turned off auto updates for Android apps in the Google Play store. 

-All working well again with access to the music on my NAS drive. 

-Will never recommend Sonos again. 

Userlevel 1

I see no way to actually add a local music folder on the app.  I was able to do it on the desktop version however,  but there is no way to actually search for songs or find the artist / song that I’m looking for.  I have over 300k songs across 2 terabytes of music and I literally have to scroll down manually across 2000-3000 artists anytime I want to listen to or find a certain song.  Literally searching sometimes several minutes just to find one song I want to listen to.  I feel like Sonos doesn’t want anyone using a local music folder.  Why else would they not even bother to include a search feature.  What a complete $hit show this new “courageous” app is.  I have 28 speakers and 6 amps in my house and m done with Sonos if they don’t fix this or give us the option to downgrade. 

Userlevel 3

I see no way to actually add a local music folder on the app.  I was able to do it on the desktop version however,  but there is no way to actually search for songs or find the artist / song that I’m looking for.  I have over 300k songs across 2 terabytes of music and I literally have to scroll down manually across 2000-3000 artists anytime I want to listen to or find a certain song.  Literally searching sometimes several minutes just to find one song I want to listen to.  I feel like Sonos doesn’t want anyone using a local music folder.  Why else would they not even bother to include a search feature.  What a complete $hit show this new “courageous” app is.  I have 28 speakers and 6 amps in my house and m done with Sonos if they don’t fix this or give us the option to downgrade. 

See my comment above, at least if you're on Android. If on iOS I'm not sure what your best option is. 

Userlevel 1

-Uninstalled the latest version of the app.

-Installed the old archived version of the app (I'll be backing this up on my laptop, NAS drive, etc). Link here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/#downloads

-Turned off Sonos' updates in their app. 

-Turned off auto updates for Android apps in the Google Play store. 

-All working well again with access to the music on my NAS drive. 

-Will never recommend Sonos again. 

Many thanks for this link.

Reverted to S2 and deactivated automatic updates to access my NAS, set my alarms, have my widget, and get back to my day-to-day activities!
Thanks a lot Sonos for this amazing application major upgrade. Please learn about non-regression tests before the next one.

Userlevel 1

See my comment above, at least if you're on Android. If on iOS I'm not sure what your best option is. 

IOS unfortunately…..  that’s the issue.   There’s no way to search for your songs in a local library.   How insane.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

IOS unfortunately…..  that’s the issue.   There’s no way to search for your songs in a local library.   How insane.  

I’ve purchased a third party app to use while this s***show is sorted out. Not great but at least I can control/play from my music library from my iPhone 

Userlevel 1

I’ve purchased a third party app to use while this s***show is sorted out. Not great but at least I can control/play from my music library from my iPhone 

What app was that?   

In case of a Synology NAS download in the app store their “DS audio” app to play your NAS stored music on your phone. Connect your phone via bluetooth with a SONOS device to hear it on your SONOS sprakers (other speakers than the BT connected SONOS speaker can be added via the SONOS app).

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

It is quite funny this thing about SMB1

It was identified as a threat about 10 years ago and I think Microsoft stopped using it around 8 years ago

Why has it taken Sonos so long to decide it is a threat?

And is it a threat to Sonos or just  your local network?

The problem with SMB1 for the users is that it rendered many NAS drives as vulnerable because NAS driver manufacturers either did not want to update their devices to support SMB2 or could not

I just find it funny that 10 years later Sonos has woken up to SMB1

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

What app was that?   

SonoPhone - good luck! Bit glitchy and ugly but music library there 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Local library on RAVPower fileshare plays - no artwork or queue control.  Glass half-full or half-empty? 🍷🤔😁

Does anyone else remember the last major update to the Sonos app that wouldn’t connect to speakers that were a year(?) or so old?  One would think they would have learned after that PR disaster.  I stopped investing in their hardware after that fiasco.

This new app doesn’t seem add anything useful, why push it out when it introduces breaking changes?

Terrible, terrible decisions ...

No no, just wait. It gets even better.
I updated to the latest controller on my Mac, last night, and it removed my AirPort Time Capsule, and now will not permit me to add it back. It won’t even let me add a local library. I’ve tried everything and I just keep getting the same error, over and over again.
Kinda sucks

I suggest that all of the toilets at the SONOS office are taken away, and when they ask what's happened to them, they're told that it's an upgrade.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Can you definitely confirm that this new app doesn’t have the ability to search one’s local library?  

If so, that’s a non-starter.  Beyond that, what about the general ability to access and navigate your library?  In all the screenshots I see of the new interface, I don’t see a Library tab/button/link/option anywhere.  How do you pull up your library?  And once there, does it seem to function the same way? Use your metadata the same way?

Man, I’ve been a Sonos user from the beginning...precisely because it was the best way to access MY music.  I’m really bummed if I have to scrap it all and switch to a whole new platform.😔

I also lost the access to the Music Library through NAS on a time capsule. Was forced to update the desktop up and then the Music Library was completely gone and cannot be re-added, regardless of allowing permissions in system settings, entering correct password, etc. Cannot even add the local Music folder, receiving persistent errors after setup that also wants me to change all my energy system settings. And worse, since I only updated one of my Android devices, it now asks me to update the other device, too, in order to add Music libraries, although that feature no longer exists in the new app. Go figure… I will contact the BBB and claim false advertisement of the new app. It is a downgrade in all regards, and has never been worse. I am done with Sonos. What are these speakers worth without a functioning software access? Pretty much nothing. I also write to their CEO and suggests that you all do. This is simply not acceptable.

FYI: My old Music Library first still showed on the device with the app not updated, but then disappeared from there after the desktop app update. It is also unbelievable that the user is forced to an updated that either breaks access or no longer allows access to services formerly available. Do not buy SONOS. DO NOT update any of your apps!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge

I updated to the latest controller on my Mac, last night, and it removed my AirPort Time Capsule, and now will not permit me to add it back. It won’t even let me add a local library. I’ve tried everything and I just keep getting the same error, over and over again.
Kinda sucks

I can confirm the same errors on my side.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I thought that I had already given up on Sonos. I’m down to one speaker wired to my router. I was at least able to play from my music folder to that one speaker. I gave the sound bar and the other speakers to an unwitting victim. The remaining speaker still plays from services, but that’s it. This last update severs my only remaining reason to own that Sonos speaker. I certainly have no interest in the newer products they are trying to sell: I’m convinced that they won’t work either in a few years. So, goodbye and good riddance.

Userlevel 2

Kinda sucks

Yup same here - going round in circles trying to add my music library on Mac desktop computer - error code 913 continually :-(

The synology NAS disappeared. When I try to get it back in through settings for music library, it announces a 913 error. There’s no credentials needed since it’s behind the firewall. Guess that’s part of the problem with the windows application.

Seems like I need to get rid of the new controller, since it doesn’t work.

It will be a bit expensive to get rid of Sonos, but if they don’t fix this broken update, it is probably the best solution.

Userlevel 1

Yes, like others, the music library on my Synology can no longer be accessed or searched. In the process they have almost rendered their product useless except for streaming. Now I have to search for some other system to play all those CD’s that I bought and added to my music library. You can’t even see your music library on this new app. Better fix it soon are you are going to lose a lot of customers.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Update. NAS is completely invisible to SONOS now though both windows app and the phone. First world problems, i know, but don;t release something like this knowing its going to not work properly.