Question

Moved - Now I cannot add Sonos Devices - Says Login as System Owner... I am!

Userlevel 3

I moved and now I cannot access any of my devices. When I hard reset them to add them it says I have to do a software update but I have to sign in as the system owner. I am the system owner?! This has been a very frustrating experience and based on messaged I have found online no one has an answer. Not sure why such a hefty price tag if the app is so difficult, especially for moving to a new house.

107 replies

What is going on with Sonos? I had to change my WiFi and now I have thousands of dollars in products useless!!! Fix this now Sonos!!!!

pd: Mac OS app and web app are death too, what is going on with this company?

Same problem. Moved house and wifi provider. Now I can’t set up my Sonos products as “an update is required”, only to be hit with a “sign in as the system owner” error. Stuck in a loop 🫠

Userlevel 1

Same issue  with multiple devices 

changed email deleted app

nothing 

suggestions??

Userlevel 1
Badge

I saw others able to resolve this issue by following these steps

1. Uninstall Sonos App
  2. Go to your default browser in phone and try logging out from sonos.com
  3. Reboot phone
  4. Unplug all speakers
  5. Factory reset one speaker and keep other unplug for now
  6. Install sonos app
  7. set up new system with the one you’ve factory reset
  8. Try to add remaining speakers one by one

It may or may not work with you but there’s a chance at the very least

Userlevel 1

Thank as for outline the steps so well. Sadly it Didn’t work 

unable to  get past “am not system owner”

Userlevel 1

Its boxed back up and going back to Costco tomorrow 

Same exact issue. Wtf Sonos? You all didn’t have the foresight that people move homes? Paid all this money for your useless products, really regretting it now. 

I moved and now I cannot access any of my devices. When I hard reset them to add them it says I have to do a software update but I have to sign in as the system owner. I am the system owner?! This has been a very frustrating experience and based on messaged I have found online no one has an answer. Not sure why such a hefty price tag if the app is so difficult, especially for moving to a new house.

I just “traded up” my old Play 5 speakers for the new version 😂🤣😂 to move from my S1 controller and Bridge to S2………...what a MISTAKE! 😡 I spent hours (and hours and hours) to update my S2 compatible speakers to work on the new app through countless failed updates and now I have it all set up I feel like I have gone backwards……..the update was supposed to be effortless, and the experience superior…….WRONG……..but I cannot afford to turn off the system, I just have to learn to work with it and keep my 🤞🤞 they fix it quickly

***********SOLUTION***********

Go in order:

1. delete the app entirely (and all other apps) on phone/tablet
  2. reset phone
  3. reset router
  4. download sonos app
  5. factory reset sonos product
  6. open sonos app and signin to account
  7. add sonos product as new setup with existing/new wifi connection

repeat step 5 and 7 (not including 6) if you have multiple products.

Go in order:

2. reset phone
  3. reset router
  4. download sonos app

to clarify:
on step 1; not all apps, but just the sonos apps

on step 7; they must be all connected to the same wifi connection and your phone has to also be connected to the same wifi.

I also updated to new app, and it f**ked up everything for me, but it’s working now. It’s a sensitive system, and you need to follow the steps I gave exactly as they are.

I haven’t moved house or changed wifi or nothing and up to 5 days ago my system was working fine, now I cannot access it and getting this same message about system owner which makes the app completely unusable because its blocked by this message

Anyone find anything out from Sonos before I attempt to contact them?

I was able to transfer ownership from myself to myself with the same login. But now I can’t setup the system with any Wi-Fi, despite being setup confirmed by the app. When I turn off and on the era 300, the app says it can’t be found and to setup again. I’ve tried this again and again and now at the point where throwing the speakers like a football out the window would bring peace.

Go in order:

2. reset phone
  3. reset router
  4. download sonos app

Hi everyone, chatted with SONOS, the diagnostics was the network issue, you have to reset everything and start over essentially.

THIS SOLUTION ABOVE WORKS WITH TIME AND PETIENCE.

Just to add (from my experience),

POINT 3. reset the router by unplugging it leaving for 10 seconds, plug back in wait a minute or 2

POINT 5. factory reset ALL your sonos devices ONLY AFTER your have rebooted your router, if you have multiple devices, you have to do them all, doing just 1 doesn't work.

Mine is now working fully.

Userlevel 1

I got my 4 speakers back online using the process listed. However I am not using the Sonos app. I’m using Apple Music. The app asked me to update after adding each speaker I swiped the notification down and kept going. I can’t use the Sonos app at all, so no optimising true play but at least I’m listening again 

Same as everyone here, stuck with sign as owner for days now!

Go in order:

2. reset phone
  3. reset router
  4. download sonos app

to clarify:

on step 7; they must be all connected to the same wifi connection and your phone has to also be connected to the same wifi.

Hi, But resetting iPhone?? what do they mean by that. this might erase all the phone!

Yeah that’s wild… I’m not resetting my phone and reconfiguring all my other apps just for Sonos.

I just moved to a bigger house and was looking at some of the Era 300s…. this is ridiculous.  Homepods here I come. :)

Is there a fix to this? I have these installed in dental offices and CANNOT reset router/phones while the office is seeing patients. This is BEYOND frustrating. Refuse to sell anymore Sonos products if we constantly have to reset everything. 

I am having the same problem. Tired of having to do it again and again. 

Hi,

I sorted out this issue by installing the App on my Mac and the update went through in just few minutes.

Give it a try.

thanks.

I had the same issue, also with the iPhone connect issue but I have managed to solve it by using the Sonos Mac OS app. I guess also the Windows app will work. 

Got the system up and running in 5 minutes after 2 hours struggle with the mobile app.

Thanks, I used the Mac OS App and it works.

I called support and was told this issue was caused by an update and basically had to setup everything from scratch. This is all going in the garbage. 

Yeah that’s wild… I’m not resetting my phone and reconfiguring all my other apps just for Sonos.

I just moved to a bigger house and was looking at some of the Era 300s…. this is ridiculous.  Homepods here I come. :)

Reset = restart, not wash the whole phone. Just restart the phone.

Go in order:

2. reset phone
  3. reset router
  4. download sonos app

to clarify:

Hi, But resetting iPhone?? what do they mean by that. this might erase all the phone!

Reset = restart, not wash the whole phone. Just restart the phone.