Question

Moved - Now I cannot add Sonos Devices - Says Login as System Owner... I am!

Userlevel 3

I moved and now I cannot access any of my devices. When I hard reset them to add them it says I have to do a software update but I have to sign in as the system owner. I am the system owner?! This has been a very frustrating experience and based on messaged I have found online no one has an answer. Not sure why such a hefty price tag if the app is so difficult, especially for moving to a new house.

107 replies

The reply that the 2.4 vs 5 gigawatt frequency our internet is putting out is the problem is a complete and utter copout.  Seriously for those folks who aren’t savvy enough to determine what their internet is doing what are we supposed to do?  I am a user and not a tech.  I don’t ask you to climb on the wings to move the ailerons in flight to turn the airplane why are you so lazy that you can’t develop a plug and play system that I can just listen to music without endless searching through forums to determine why I can’t even find a simple sound bar (technology that is older than most millenials) and manage my system with a simple one router network.   If I wanted to spend hours resetting and troubleshooting my entertainment system I would be in IT.  I’m not so fix your bugs.  Multiple months of users complaining and being affected and still no answer or published pinned articles on how to resolve “sign in as owner” issues.  

What a joke?   Anyone want to pile up a bunch of sonos products with tannerite and practice our marksmanship skills?

Same issue.  I’m waiting for the email to delete my account.

I moved and now I cannot access any of my devices. When I hard reset them to add them it says I have to do a software update but I have to sign in as the system owner. I am the system owner?! This has been a very frustrating experience and based on messaged I have found online no one has an answer. Not sure why such a hefty price tag if the app is so difficult, especially for moving to a new house.

Same issue 

Userlevel 1

Yep!!! this is insane! I am officially selling my $3000+ worth of sonos products.. if i could afford to I would be placing them in a dumpster and setting it on fire. 

BYE SONOS!!! YOUR COMPANY IS TRASH AND YOUVE WASTED WEEKS OF MY LIFE 

I have done something similar, I bought the

Samsung Q930C Soundbar Speaker

I now wonder why I went for SONOS in the first place, the sound reproduction on the Samsung for voice is far superior………… SONOS is a joke - I have a lot of SONOS junk here if anybody wants to swap for a pint of lager?

"I moved and now I cannot access any of my devices. When I hard reset them to add them it says I have to do a software update but I have to sign in as the system owner. I am the system owner?! This has been a very frustrating experience and based on messaged I have found online no one has an answer."

My issue exactly. Stuck in a loop where even though I am signed in as the system owner and the device is running from my new router  I can't see any Spotify playlists.

Tried re-booting, dumping and re-loading the app, connecting to the router with an ethernet cable whilst re-booting and every tip I can find here and elsewhere online. I've literally spent hours trying. Nothing works. And all simply because I've moved to a different street!

This is just the latest of numerous glitches with this product which, along with the app, is the most problematic, frustrating and fault-ridden product I've ever spent money on.

It's a shame as when it does actually work the sound is really good but I've given up. I'm going spend my money on tech that actually functions. It's not worth the endless trouble shooting. I wouldn't recommend Sonos to anybody. 

Yep!!! this is insane! I am officially selling my $3000+ worth of sonos products.. if i could afford to I would be placing them in a dumpster and setting it on fire. 

BYE SONOS!!! YOUR COMPANY IS TRASH AND YOUVE WASTED WEEKS OF MY LIFE 

The issue is as simple as the network protocol you are using.

Sonos is not working well with 5 Ghz networks. Just connect your mobile device to a 2,4 Ghz and add your Sonos devices to the 2,4 Ghz networks. It will work perfectly.

I am actually running a separate 2,4 Ghz hotspot connected to the main router to operate the Sonos system. Only for that.

Still not sorted this FFS

I have the same issue  It's typical "all fur coat and bo knickers" from sonos 

Had the same issues after changing wifi services and then trying to reset from my iphone.

I then logged on from the clunky Windows app and completed all updates. Solved the update issue also allowed connection to IOS.

The issue is as simple as the network protocol you are using.

Sonos is not working well with 5 Ghz networks. Just connect your mobile device to a 2,4 Ghz and add your Sonos devices to the 2,4 Ghz networks. It will work perfectly.

I am actually running a separate 2,4 Ghz hotspot connected to the main router to operate the Sonos system. Only for that.

This worked for me:

• Uninstall Sonos App
  • Reboot router
  • Reboot phone
  • Reset all speakers
  • Unplug from tv
  • Install sonos app
  • set up new system 

I had the same problem and Johnewa’s solution worked for me.

Same problem, app is unsable. Good luck with support, I’ve been trying to get my amps returned for 4+ months, support is absolutely terrible.

Ok, I Will try tjat. Thank you 

This worked for me:

• Uninstall Sonos App
  • Reboot router
  • Reboot phone
  • Reset all speakers
  • Unplug from tv
  • Install sonos app
  • set up new system 

I am so f-* frustrated!!! updated the app to version
80.02.04 - and now nothing works! I have been askes to log in as admin, but it won’t work - I am logged in, but the question is coming again and again. And when I tried to connect my devices it’s not working! 

same crap as everyone here.  just piss poor costumer support and app.  whoever came up with this “update” needs to be FIRED!!!! NOW!!!

me 57?  this new app has made just listening to music impossible.  but it’s even more frustrating when it says you won’t own the system I obviously own

I agree with Minuteman -- I downloaded the Windows app and was able to log in and “Check for Updates” the update will pop up and I was able to install from my Windows machine and it worked to get the Sonos updated and my phone app now works and dont’ have to use the windows app at all anymore.  Annoying, but it worked.

***********SOLUTION***********

Go in order:

1. delete the app entirely (and all other apps) on phone/tablet
  2. reset phone
  3. reset router
  4. download sonos app
  5. factory reset sonos product
  6. open sonos app and signin to account
  7. add sonos product as new setup with existing/new wifi connection

repeat step 5 and 7 (not including 6) if you have multiple products.

reset my phone? JFC - fix this trash app SONOS!

Same exact issue. Wtf Sonos? You all didn’t have the foresight that people move homes? Paid all this money for your useless products, really regretting it now. 

I feel you, so frustrating. At this stage I feel like I’m going to throw this speaker out the window and go get a HomePod or something. Smh. 

I saw others able to resolve this issue by following these steps

1. Uninstall Sonos App
  2. Go to your default browser in phone and try logging out from sonos.com
  3. Reboot phone
  4. Unplug all speakers
  5. Factory reset one speaker and keep other unplug for now
  6. Install sonos app
  7. set up new system with the one you’ve factory reset
  8. Try to add remaining speakers one by one

It may or may not work with you but there’s a chance at the very least

This worked for me, but added a step between 6 and 7, which is to login to the app after reinstall, and before trying to add the speaker. Thanks Tsumaa !! :)

same issue - tried to get my Moves reconnected to a wifi network, then was asked to update software, then tried to login - then repeatedly received message:  “the system owner must be logged in.  Please log out and have the owner login.”.  I am the owner and using the same email address and password.  just gives me the same message over and over again on app.

On line chat was not helpful at all….

Sonos or community, please respond ahd support your customers

I eventually got it to work on the iOS APP, but no idea why. Was spending ages getting through to chat people, but they proved useless in the end. 

Admitted a „known issue“ , but no further details. Complete mess .

Seriously, try the windows app. I’m telling you, I was ready to throw these things out. We’re good to go now. 

and to all others… clearly this is an app issue. I do believe it’ll be resolved soon if you don’t want to fiddle with the windows app. But it was 5 mins of my time to solve 2 weeks of heartache 

I have tried the web app on a windows PC - does not find the system.  I downloaded the Windows app - it does offer any method to log device into Wifi or set up a new device.  

The chat support is clearly not working, one persons fobbed me off with an unworkable solution and asked me to log off. 

After a third attempt to get a chat help, waiting for 40 min, i was connected to William. He got the case ID and then said „allow me to help“ , and then disconnected me ! 

This is incredible! I have about $2000 worth of bricked Sonos products sitting here.