Question

How to Roll Back from 80 to 16.1

Userlevel 5
Badge

Please provide a way to go back to the old version ASAP. I use Sonos almost exclusively for my local library as it seems many people do and you have again (think bricking...) completely misunderstood your owners and people that have supported and invested in your products for decades. Congratulations on creating another media disaster for the company. I am sure the new app is trending on all platforms with angry users and people looking for alternate products. PLEASE LET US GO BACK to the old version until you sort this out.   

33 replies

Userlevel 2

Agreed we use it for our gym and now most of the music services don’t work anymore and you can’t see playlists, stations etc. with really limited functionality compared to previous app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

+1 request to roll back.  Release notes made no mention of feature loss.  

Userlevel 2

Please get us a rollback option. Sorry really don’t like the new app, can’t get a bunch of my services to work (sorry technical error has occurred message) and finding it really difficult to navigate and as others have said, loss of functionality.

users need the choice to use what works best so a rollback option should be a given!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have the same issue as the original post. I use Sonos for my Music Library. The “search function “ within the Music Library has been taken away. I have hundreds of songs. I need a search function. 

More generally, I find the new app more difficult to navigate. There also is a lag when changing rooms or sources. It’s really not good. 

Please provide a path back to 16.1. 

I am a long time user with many speakers and two surround sound systems. And I am a very unhappy customer. 

Userlevel 1

New app is an absolute failure. Trying to display too much information on homepage. App is not user friendly.

Userlevel 2

Same request here - I can’t access any of my Sonos system here since I’ve installed the new app

hopefully I have other device with the old app and I can still operate my system with them

So the simplest solution would be to roll back to the older version of the app

Needless to say i am very angry towards Sonos 😡😡

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

16.1 is still there. No system update was included with the new app.

So all that would be required would be to make S2 available again whilst more work is done on the new App. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

From a fellow forum user, use the steps he describes below. It worked for me and I am back (and happy) to the previous version. This is for Android users. First remember to uninstall the existing Sonos app from your phone. 

“Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.”

The new app is certainly not an upgrade. Lag in time between changing rooms. Sleep feature missing. Nearly every navigation of app features a “ something went wrong “ sometimes a cheeky wee OOPS is put in.🤔 

What was a good product and easy to use has become a frustration, and that is not what I listen to my music for. Please can we go back to the previous app.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Please provide a way to go back to the old version ASAP. I use Sonos almost exclusively for my local library as it seems many people do and you have again (think bricking...) completely misunderstood your owners and people that have supported and invested in your products for decades. Congratulations on creating another media disaster for the company. I am sure the new app is trending on all platforms with angry users and people looking for alternate products. PLEASE LET US GO BACK to the old version until you sort this out.   

Hi

I’ve rolled back to 16.1 - check my posts out for a view on how to do it. thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi

I’ve rolled back to 16.1 - check my posts out for a view on how to do it. thanks

me too, old app works perfectly 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

I dl’ed and tried to install 16.1, but my Pixel 6 said it could not install the apk. I think the permissions are ok. Any ideas?

Answer: You have to uninstall the Sonos app first, and then install the rollback 16.1 version

Userlevel 1

Agreed, I’d like an option to revert back as I have an extensive music library that I am now no longer able to search.

I have no interest in being railroaded into using paid-for streaming services on already vastly overpriced devices.

Userlevel 2

Silly me -- I assumed will all the fanfare and advance notice that the new app would be fully baked.

How wrong I was!

Sonos software engineers should be humbled by their dubious performance on version 80.

Why was this even allowed to be released in its present form?

Sonos are you listening??  I truly like using the Sonos system, and I have complete confidence that the new app will be better in time.  Please add a simple procedure for all the frustrated users to roll back to 16.1 until version 80 is ready for prime time.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Another feature that now seems to be missing is the volume scale when streaming music - at least for Pandora, which is all I stream. The volume slider used to have a numerical scale so that I could set volume consistently. Now there is no scale and it’s trial and error every time I change from room to room or from my music library to streaming. Really?! This is pretty basic. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I managed to -d-o-w-n-upgrade my app to 16.1. Info here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/emergency-must-downgrade-new-app-asap-6892576

Userlevel 3

+1 for a rollback here... new app is pretty but nothing more:

confusing

laggy 

and no ability to add content to the queue is beyond reproach!

Userlevel 2

+1 for roll back while you sort this out. Your new app is currently unacceptable to this longstanding 5-room system customer. What a mess. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

+1 for roll back while you sort this out. Your new app is currently unacceptable to this longstanding 5-room system customer. What a mess. 

Roll back to 16.1:-

I uninstalled the sonos app.

Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.

Roll back to 16.1:-

I uninstalled the sonos app.

Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.

Thanks for this.

Thanks for this Chris. It worked easily and my blood pressure has gone down again.

Is there any way to rollback for Apple IOS. The app is really crap. Can’t even login any more for adding devices and lost services. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Is there any way to rollback for Apple IOS. The app is really crap. Can’t even login any more for adding devices and lost services. 

Short answer is no 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Yes. Start a class action lawsuit against SONOS

Another unhappy customer with the new app. Please revert to allow us back to our muisc libraries or roll the app back.

I’ve been a Sonos user from the start and advocate but no longer.