Heads-up: New Sono iOS app is missing URLs feature from "TuneIn" (on MacOS)

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Just a heads-up to those who may be upgrading to the new iOS app, there is an issue where the URLs we have put in via “TuneIn” on the older MacOS controller are not being propagated to the iOS app.   I talked with support, they are aware of it and will be fixing it in the near future.

I presume they will make sure that is not an issue prior to releasing the update to MacOS.

In the new iOS app, “TuneIn” appears to be a paid service now.  So I’m not sure how they’re going to mix all of this up.    In my case, I subscribe to another service (for years) that uses URLs to play their mixes and I really use a lot of their stuff, so I am anxious to have this fixed up.

7 replies

I think this was an issue in the S2 App aswell, as the old Tune-In service became unavailable to some users and so they could not add their station URL’s - I’ve seen Sonos Staff mention before that there’s a plan to fix this.

I was hoping to see the feature in the new App too, at launch, but it now seems like it will be introduced later (hopefully) - I don’t see why this does not get put into the Sonos Radio Service, as that seems like the obvious place to put it, er…IMHO.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I also wondered about this.  For example, these are just URLs, so why not allow them to exist in a simple playlist?  In the new design, I would hope for something a bit more manageable.

Apple doesn’t allow a streaming URL playlist to propagate to iOS -- well that’s because they want you to use Apple Music (which I don’t care for).   Sonos doesn’t seem to pull those lists from Imported Playlists, either (hmm?  Is this a limitation by Apple?).

Anyway, from a UX perspective, having these things more manageable and easier to use is pretty much necessary especially in the context of a new UI design.  So let’s see if Sonos gets the memo :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

There is a new iOS app update, version 80.00.04.  Unfortunately, Sonos doesn’t provide any ChangeLog or other info about what they fixed, which isn’t really helpful.   Anyone know?   For example, it would be really helpful that if/when they fix the TuneIn-style radio URLs issue, that they note this in the release notes in iOS.

In the new iOS app, “TuneIn” appears to be a paid service now.  So I’m not sure how they’re going to mix all of this up.    In my case, I subscribe to another service (for years) that uses URLs to play their mixes and I really use a lot of their stuff, so I am anxious to have this fixed up.

I am in the same/similar position as Forrest (above).

I use the Sonos app on an iphone 15. I subscribe to radio streaming services ClassicalRadio.com and RadioTunes. On the old S2 (which I have retained on my ipad and computer) the URLs can be accessed and saved as favourites (of which I have about 20) through TuneIn, My Radio Stations.  

I upgraded to the new S2 on my iphone. On the advice of Sonos Support I added TuneIn (New) by opening an account with TuneIn but rejecting the offer for their paid service - TuneIn Premium.

On the new S2, my favourites (radio stations) appear but are greyed out and cannot be activated. When I access TuneIn (new) they do not display my radio services. When I use the ipad (with old S2) and play one of my favourites (a URL from ClassicalRadio or RadioTunes) accessed through TuneIn (old)) the station plays and is displayed in the new S2 on my iphone as playing, but it cannot be saved and does not show up under Recent History.

I can presently manage by using the old S2 on my ipad and computers. But I am concerned to know whether the entirety of my classical music station URL’s are to be permanently ‘lost’ with the new S2. Or whether the problem lies with TuneIn (New) (I have raised the problem with them) which no longer supports my radio services.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I really feel it would be reasonable for Sonos to re-publish the last working version, and move this new app to public beta.  However they can arrange that with Apple.

Actually…. why don’t they have a public beta?  Do they, in some way I  have missed?  This would be beneficial to development and would have caught this.

I am in the same/similar position as Forrest (above).

I use the Sonos app on an iphone 15. I subscribe to radio streaming services ClassicalRadio.com and RadioTunes. On the old S2 (which I have retained on my ipad and computer) the URLs can be accessed and saved as favourites (of which I have about 20) through TuneIn, My Radio Stations.  

I upgraded to the new S2 on my iphone. On the advice of Sonos Support I added TuneIn (New) by opening an account with TuneIn but rejecting the offer for their paid service - TuneIn Premium.

On the new S2, my favourites (radio stations) appear but are greyed out and cannot be activated. When I access TuneIn (new) they do not display my radio services. When I use the ipad (with old S2) and play one of my favourites (a URL from ClassicalRadio or RadioTunes) accessed through TuneIn (old)) the station plays and is displayed in the new S2 on my iphone as playing, but it cannot be saved and does not show up under Recent History.

I can presently manage by using the old S2 on my ipad and computers. But I am concerned to know whether the entirety of my classical music station URL’s are to be permanently ‘lost’ with the new S2. Or whether the problem lies with TuneIn (New) (I have raised the problem with them) which no longer supports my radio services.

Thanks for sharing cause I experience exactly the same issue and spent a few hours trying to fix this, no success. At least I know this is not me doing something wrong. Not sure it is worth me to contact assistance reading all those comments, seems they are well aware by now… :-) So disappointing...

I have found a sort of work around. In ClassicalRadio.com, if I find a genre of music (say Chamber Music) I can copy the URL. If I then log into TuneIn I can  paste the URL into TuneIn and it does register the music (Chamber Music). I can then save it to favourites in TuneIn. 

Through the S2 app, I can then go to TuneIn, under Your Services in Sonos, and find the URL and play it through my Sonos equipment and save it to Favourites. It will then show in the app under Recently Played and Favourites. 

However, the Recently Played and Favourites item does not show the description of the music (Chamber Music) but only the URL. I must remember the order in which they were recently played to identify the piece. 

The frustrating aspect is that under my earlier saved Sonos Favourites, the music shows - but I cannot access it (only the eternally circulating wheel). And in my ipad, I simply go to Favourites and play the piece.

I join others also in missing the Sleep Timer feature in the old S2. 

I am confident Sonos is working on these issues and hopefully ‘Normal Service will be Resumed’.