Answered

Components groups

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi, I have 5 Sonos components in my house. Four of them are first generation and the other one is second generation. I used to have all of them grouped in order to listen music in all my house. That worked perfectly for many years, but from two months ago, the components are ungrouping and, of course, that immediately stops music reproduction. Has someone here experienced something similar? Is there a solution?  

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 4 May 2024, 23:48

View original

12 replies

First generation what? Second generation what?

Have you set up reserved IP addresses for all these devices?

Are you using S1 or S2? Have you rebooted your router?

Have you submited a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Bruce, you should try to be less aggressive, you know perfectly what I mean with first and second generation, look at the attached image, I appreciate your intention, but not the way you answer.

@MsCopernic,

Perhaps see if this ‘grouping/ungrouping’ Sonos support document might help you to resolve your issue.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/group-and-ungroup-rooms

If no joy with that, then it maybe best to go onto submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve the matter.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you very much Ken, I will check that. 

Best regards 

Not sure why you inferred any aggressiveness in my answer, certainly there was none intended. There are pretty significant differences between first gen and second gen of differing Sonos devices that have generations, and there are many folks who think there are multiple generations of devices that only have a single version/generation. I was trying to understand what device you were referring to. 

I then moved on to a suggested potential fix for a rather common issue in these forums. And then asked for more information, since that data would help analyze exactly what issue your system was experiencing, and help hone in on more useful diagnosis, and potential solutions. 

I ended with a suggestion that providing hard data to Sonos might be helpful, since they have access to the diagnostics, where we don’t.

I’m sorry if you felt intimidated by any of that, it certainly wasn’t my intention. I hope you’re able to resolve whatever issues your system is experiencing. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Bruce, please excuse me if I misinterpreted you. My configuration:

• First Gen:
  • 2 Sonos connect
  • 1 Sonos connect amp
  • 1 Sonos play 3
  • Second gen:
  • 1 Sonos play 5

I assigned a fixed IP to each equipment, the system has been stable for the last 24 hours. 

Thank you very much 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since you have some S1-only devices, your whole system is on S1?

Is the ‘fixed’ IP assignment new?

I’m assuming all devices are running S1, as you said they were all grouped together.

If setting those up is a new thing, I’d wait to see if this errant behavior recurs before chasing the diagnostic submission, followed by a call to Sonos. In your situation, that’s the only thing that immediately comes to mind, so if the dropping occurs again, the assumption is incorrect, and needs further investigation.

As a random thought, though, I suppose it might also be a change in the WiFi environment that your system lives in, it might be worth reviewing the wifi interference FAQ. We all tend to think of our networks existing without outside influence, and unfortunately, it just isn’t always the case, as I have experienced, at least twice, with a failing microwave, and a ‘noisy’ new neighbor. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Since you have some S1-only devices, your whole system is on S1?

Hi 106ralye. I have one second gen component, but yes, my whole system is on S1

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Is the ‘fixed’ IP assignment new?

I’m assuming all devices are running S1, as you said they were all grouped together.

If setting those up is a new thing, I’d wait to see if this errant behavior recurs before chasing the diagnostic submission, followed by a call to Sonos. In your situation, that’s the only thing that immediately comes to mind, so if the dropping occurs again, the assumption is incorrect, and needs further investigation.

As a random thought, though, I suppose it might also be a change in the WiFi environment that your system lives in, it might be worth reviewing the wifi interference FAQ. We all tend to think of our networks existing without outside influence, and unfortunately, it just isn’t always the case, as I have experienced, at least twice, with a failing microwave, and a ‘noisy’ new neighbor. 

Hi Bruce, Yes all devices are running S1and they are all grouped together. Ans as you said, it’s better to dive deeper into the problem, it appeared again a few minutes ago. I’m going to look into the WIFI environment, although everything worked perfectly for years, there might be a new external condition.

Once again please excuse me for misunderstanding your intentions, I appreciate all the recommendations you have made.

Best regards,

Jorge

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What confuses a lot of folks is the difference in the Generation of a device and if it can run S1, S2 or either. Very different things.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-s2-compatibility

It also shows the Generation data, saving me having to lok that up. :-)

Not to mention the confusion between ‘generation’ of operating system and ‘generation’ of the device. For instance, there was only one ‘generation’ of PLAY:3, but it runs either S1 or S2.