Question

CBC Radio & Music no longer working after Sonos app after update

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have CBC Radio & Music in my connected services on the Sonos app. After the app update yesterday it stopped working.

• I’ve uninstalled this in my connected services and re-installed it, but that did nothing.
  • I checked another radio station (NRK) and that seems to be working fine. 

This is what the app shows when I select my CBC station to play. After selecting “Play” it just spins. 

67 replies

Userlevel 1

Having the same problem since the update.

Same! Only works via Sonos Radio/TuneIn with the initial ads!

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’ve resorted to using the CBC listen app and using AirPlay to connect with speakers. I didn’t know TuneIn was an option (but I really dislike TuneIn)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yeah I had some CBC links saved as custom urls and they no longer work. The new Sonos app also broke the CBC Sonos integration. Using the CBC radio links in the Sonos app results in fairly long advertisements inserted. Not the end of the world but definitely not an improvement. 

Thank you Sara for mentioning the cbc phone app, I’ll use this to avoid the ads. 

Userlevel 2

Same as all above. 

Hey Sonos staff,

Is there a plan to fix this for your Canadian customers, this is a major bug.

Thanks,

Louis

Userlevel 3
Badge

The Sonos Status page lists CBC as operational so they clearly aren’t aware 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi all 

I reported this to Sonos via the online chat. The rep had me go into my phone and send diagnostics, couldn’t see any issues. Had me try to play CBC via the app on another device (I used an iPad) - same thing. Didn’t work. Sent more diagnostics. 

This was the final response. I did indicate there is discussion here on the community page and clearly several of us are having the same issue (not just me!)

Maybe if it gets reported by others they’ll escalate the issue more quickly? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I can play stations from the Sonos CBC Radio service from the Sonos desktop app as well as other S2 devices. So to me, it looks like an issue with the new app. The new app can’t even play or pause a CBC stream that was started in the desktop app. ETA this was the Corner Brook station stream.

Userlevel 2

I'm having the same problem.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I can play stations from the Sonos CBC Radio service from the Sonos desktop app as well as other S2 devices. So to me, it looks like an issue with the new app. The new app can’t even play or pause a CBC stream that was started in the desktop app. ETA this was the Corner Brook station stream.

I was just wondering if the desktop app would work and if it was only an issue with the mobile device app. Thanks. 

Badge

Same issue here.  Also the sleep timer disappeared.  Great quality control!!

I’m having the same issues since the update. I can only play CBC by streaming with airplay, it doesn’t work using the Sonos mobile app.Please Sonos find a resolution ASAP.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

CBC stations won't play for me, either, with the new app. But they play via my un-updated Android devices with the old Sonos app. And if I use the third-party SonoPad app on my iPad they all play just fine through my Sonos speakers via the Sonos CBC service. They are still there, but the new disaster app can't play them. In other words, others can now deliver what Sonos can't. 

Userlevel 1

Same issue here.  Since the sonos app update, neither my wife nor I can stream CBC radio from the CBC radio app.  Disappointing upgrade.

I have the same problem. I can't listen to CBC since the upgrade which is a huge problem.

Userlevel 1

I have the same problem and I use CBC Music every day for hours.  Very frustrating, I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday with Sonos suppport and they could not resolve this, so I was told the issue would be elevated and I would get an email to schedule a phone conference with a higher level tech person, but that email never came.  Again, frustrating.  I, too, see that the connected apps page has CBC Music and Radio with a green check mark showing it is fully operational.  Well, its not. Also, my interface with my podcast app (Pocketcast) used to all me to rewind for 10 seconds or move ahead for 45 seconds.  The new Sonos app no longer provides that option.  An example of an “improved app” being, really, a retrograde update.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the exact same issue as above and I’m fuming. I can get it to work on TuneIn but riddled with ads (perhaps this is intentional). I often find with my Spotify (free) account that the device stops working with ads and it just did the same thing with the TuneIn CBC Radio.

The Sonos app is complete garbage. Thinking about ditching my entire SONOS system and buying BOSE bluetooth speakers. 

Ugh

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have the exact same issue as above and I’m fuming. I can get it to work on TuneIn but riddled with ads (perhaps this is intentional). I often find with my Spotify (free) account that the device stops working with ads and it just did the same thing with the TuneIn CBC Radio.

The Sonos app is complete garbage. Thinking about ditching my entire SONOS system and buying BOSE bluetooth speakers. 

Ugh

I think this will eventually get fixed but it might be quite a long time. If your speakers support Airplay and you have an iOS device you could download the CBC radio app and airplay. If you have Android you could delete the sonos app and then side load the old s2 app.

Also on iPhone and iPad there is an app called Sonophone and Sonopad. I just bought yesterday and CBC Radio app works great with it. It’s only $2.99CAD. ETA no affiliation with the app obvs just a customer 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ugh

I think this will eventually get fixed but it might be quite a long time. If your speakers support Airplay and you have an iOS device you could download the CBC radio app and airplay. If you have Android you could delete the sonos app and then side load the old s2 app.

Also on iPhone and iPad there is an app called Sonophone and Sonopad. I just bought yesterday and CBC Radio app works great with it. It’s only $2.99CAD. ETA no affiliation with the app obvs just a customer 

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don’t use IOS or any Apple products. I can still listen to it using TuneIn radio but the ads are horrible and I have another issue where SONOS stops playing when an ad plays.  

Suggest everyone write to the CEO - “Get in touch with our CEO, Patrick Spence, at ceo@sonos.com

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi everyone. Perhaps write a letter to the CEO

“Get in touch with our CEO, Patrick Spence, at ceo@sonos.com

Userlevel 2
Badge

The Sonos Status page lists CBC as operational so they clearly aren’t aware 

I think all that status page indicates is that the streaming service is working...has nothing to do with whether or not the app is actually working (and their techs don’t seem to understand this).

Userlevel 1

I have the same issue as all above. Thanks for email ceo suggestion. Have done so. Hopefully enough emails will be received to engender a fix.

I’ve resorted to using the CBC listen app and using AirPlay to connect with speakers. I didn’t know TuneIn was an option (but I really dislike TuneIn)

How do you connect to Airplay? Using the Sonos speaker?! I miss my CBC

Userlevel 2

How do you connect to Airplay? Using the Sonos speaker?! I miss my CBC

You can listen to CBC Radio One on the TuneIn service.  You get an ad when you first play it but after that it's ad-free.

Userlevel 1

I switched to my sony bluetooth and the CBC listen app.  I know I can keep switching my Sonos between Bluetooth and wifi, but easier to just use my Sony for CBC.  This is a frustrating update.