Sonos One Alexa skills: What works, what doesn’t

• 28 October 2017
  • 30 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Amazon have two types of device Alexa (Echo range) and Alexa Enabled (Sonos One), these two device types have different functionality that are within the exclusive control of Amazon.
The Sonos One is a really great speaker but to say that this has Alexa built in is false advertising in my opinion. Particularly the following bullet point:

>>> Play songs, check news and traffic, manage smart devices and enjoy all those other helpful Amazon Alexa skills using a single Sonos speaker.

Enjoy ALL those other helpful Amazon Alexa skills?? I would say basic voice commands work but beyond that it is extremely hit or miss. Hopefully Google assistant will be better but I kind of doubt it.
Twitch app doesn't work (consistent with your apps that open a persistent stream don't work)

Honestly, It is my opinion that the Sonos One is not a good addition to my Alexa ecosystem. I mean, if I didn't have echo devices it would be ok I guess. But it just sucks trying to figure out what limited set of capabilities work with the One. Yes, it sounds better than an echo. but it is also not as capable as an echo.
Daily Dose doesnt work :(( my favorite skill
Thanks for this summary!
I have had the same frustrating experience. One expects the Sonos One to be like an Echo just with better looks and sound but this is not the case at all. As amazed I was at Alexa when I first tried it on the Echo, as frustrated I am now with this half measure integration. I feel put back in time when every car manufacturer was praising their voice control but none actually worked. Alexa on Sonos One is in BETA mode!
On a positive note: Philips Hue works...