Sonos Alexa integration broken since S2 update. Help!

Userlevel 1

I’ve recently upgraded to the S2 app. Using the original Sonos app I had issues every now and again e.g. silence from Alexa when making requests. To fix I would unlink everything and start again. This always worked. Using the new S2 app, I’ve just tried to unlink and start again for the first time as Alexa responded with silence when I asked it to play a song. When I try to link the Sonos skill to the Alexa app it says unable to link Sonos at this time, please try again later.

This is infuriating. The money these speakers cost and the size of the companies involved i.e. Amazon, you would think more time would be invested in R&D before rolling out a buggy product/service.

Can anyone please suggest a fix?

I’ve already unlinked Alexa, Spotify and the speaker system from S2 app and reset the app (though when I re-open the app after a reset it does auto-find the speaker system on my network). I’ve unlinked the Sonos and Spotify skills from the Alexa app. I’ve logged out of everything Amazon related and re-logged in making sure it’s the same account. None of my devices have duplicated names.

Maybe if there were a way to make my network forget the system and I could start again so I can do the initial setup once more?

Also, Google Assistant works okay, though I would prefer to use Amazon Alexa. I’m too familiar with it now… and I keep saying Alexa instead of Hey, Google!

I cannot figure out how to fix this!!

Please help.

Thanks,

Dan

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

I’ve been following this thread and was having similar Alexa-Sonos integration issues. Where Alexa kept saying the device was offline. I’ve followed most of the steps previously mentioned from logging out on all Amazon apps, de-registering devices on the Amazon site, rebooting the Sonos devices (per Sonos Support), stop-starting the Alexa Sonos skill.

In my case, the one thing that actually worked and solved my issue was factory resetting the actual echos devices within the Alexa App. I’m unclear if its that one discreet step or a combination. Eitherway, this is another option to explore if your'e still stuck.

Badge +1

Thank you for suggestions! I probably wouldn’t have kept trying different things otherwise!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

,😁

Badge +1

Ok, so I’ve managed to sort it - I set up the S1 app with my Play:5 Gen 1 - having got the arc and sub I’d not planned to use the Play:5 seeing as it would be its own system, and had deleted S1.

I then tried to link the Alexa Sonos skill to my account. It now recognised that I had 2 systems: living room (S2 arc, sub etc) and office (S1 play:5) and asked which I wanted to continue.

selected living Room and looked as though all was well - but initially said it couldn’t link at this time, try again.

Did that and: success!! Linked. Searched new devices and claimed none were found, but the living room was now showing in list of devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Indeed, I had no issue with the move to S2.  I wonder if there is another bug. Can you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread.

Badge +1

Yeah, sadly I’d already tried that - I logged out of all amazon apps on every device. No joy. Thank you for trying though!

Address is all set up correct in my account.

I think there must be a bug that’s affecting switching from S1 to S2 app… but it’s strange that some are getting on ok and others not

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

A long shot but can you log out of all Amazon Apps on your device and then try to Enable the Sonos Skill again.  My S2 system is working fine - sorry no help for you! ;)  Can you also check that your location is still correct in your Sonos profile on https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/home

Badge +1

Hi, I’m on S2 with Arc and Play:1’s. Yes removed S1.

i removed play:1’s from S1 before downloading S2.

play:5 was removed and haven’t set up a separate S1 system with it as yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Has anyone had any joy sorting this as yet?? I’ve got nowhere with it - trying to enable the sonos skill in the alexa app results in it telling me to register my speakers with my Sonos account and there’s no way of getting past that stage (they’re all registered… they’ve also been de registered and re registered in an attempt to sort this). I’ve tried most of the above (logging out, de registering, etc etc etc.) I’m not about to go through the whole process of deleting every app and device, given the amount of integration with other smart devices I have. It’s clearly a bug in the Sonos Skill with Alexa, not to do with any of our set ups.

Is your system S1 or S2?  If S2, have you removed the S1 App?

Badge +1

Has anyone had any joy sorting this as yet?? I’ve got nowhere with it - trying to enable the sonos skill in the alexa app results in it telling me to register my speakers with my Sonos account and there’s no way of getting past that stage (they’re all registered… they’ve also been de registered and re registered in an attempt to sort this). I’ve tried most of the above (logging out, de registering, etc etc etc.) I’m not about to go through the whole process of deleting every app and device, given the amount of integration with other smart devices I have. It’s clearly a bug in the Sonos Skill with Alexa, not to do with any of our set ups.

I might have ran across a fix for the problem of upgrading to Sonos s2, then the google assistant will not work, or connect to the devices.  IT seems the original Sonos S1 app was still in control of Google Assistant.

The basic procedure involves RESETTING both apps (SONOS S1 AND SONOS S2).  After successfully resetting BOTH APPS, go into the Sonos S2 app and try to once again to add the Google Assistant service.

Go into the Original Sonos S1 App.  You will see the following screen:

Go into the New SONOS S2 App and click onto the Settings icon:

After successfully resetting both apps, try to now add the Google Assistant service in the Sonos S2 app.  Good Luck.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi,
Thank you everyone for the feedback and sounds like everything are now working.

If you still have further questions and or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out. We’re always here to help.

Thanks,

Strangely enough it just worked now!

Yes... its back to nornal !

Same here, glad it’s back to normal, it has been driving me crazy

Yes... its back to nornal !

My Alexa is connected and working with my sonos beam and all connected devices on alexa.

The issue is to play spotify. Alexas says: here is spotify.. or playing songs by artist from spotify but nothing really happens..

Reinstalled everything but nothing worked out..

When connecting with Google assistant it works fine.

I have the same issue as above, works fine with Apple Music but not with Spotify, My echo devices work fine with Alexa, it’s only when I use Alexa to play Spotify on my Sonos.

I even tried to ask Alexa from my echo to play on a Sonos device, it doesn't work neither.

UPDATE:

I changed to google assistant couple of days ago and it was working very well so far, BUT..

Today I moved back my Sonos Beam to Alexa and its all working... I did this dozens of times before and it was not working.. and now its simply accepting my voice commands and playing spotify with no issue.

Userlevel 1

Worked last night for a period of time, today it is no longer workings. Seriously, shockingly bad quality control and customer management from Sonos. 😡🤬😡

Userlevel 1

Update.

Managed to get everything working again, with the added bonus of Spotify playing other songs automatically after it finishes the song I asked for. This is a feature I thought had long died on my system as all the settings were set to make that happen but it never did.

Shortly after I fixed it, I was met with silence when requesting a song…

I left this for a couple of hours, tried to ask again and it worked again. Buggy system to say the least but all setup again.

Communication from Sonos to acknowledge a known issue over the weekend would have stopped many people from pulling their hair out!

Userlevel 1

Working now, the fact that this has affected so many customers over the weekend, it warrants a comment from Sonos detailing the cause and fix. Glad it's fixed, but Sonos customers communication needs to improve. 

Badge

@SonosManu good news. Maybe they had server related issues between Sonos and Amazon over the weekend?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Badge

@SonosManu - I got off the phone with “Xander P” via the UK 0800 number 30 minutes ago.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@karlfromkent from the UK. Tried three times late morning and early afternoon and every time I got recorded message from Sonos saying that it was really busy and the next message was that the lines were close.

Badge

@UKMedia  Your 2.1 suggestion doesn’t work as once the skill is disabled, it can’t be re enabled (tried countless times to do this). It is not realistic to sit and try this many times.

@everyone else - I’ve switched to google assistant until i read that this problem has been fixed. I have an e family cloud multi plug which pairs fine. I had one amazon plug in use which i believe is not supported through google assistant, so that’s the only functionality I’ve lost out on. You can pair Spotify and set up routines just like through Alexa. So far i have less issue with google assistant recognising me say hey google (i more frequently have to repeat myself with alexa). At the time of writing this response, i still want a fix for this. I do still prefer Alexa. If it takes too long for a fix to be rolled out, my opinion may change and i may stick with google. Only time will tell...

I had the same issue as you as can be seen in this post, but upon trying to re-link just now, it worked. I was ironically on the phone with support at the time. 

Badge

Sonos support phone lines are closed today, don’t know why. I am trying to get support on Twitter, which seems to be a long process: 2 replies in 3 hours …..

Where are you calling from? I was able to speak to UK support after ~30 minute hold.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Sonos support phone lines are closed today, don’t know why. I am trying to get support on Twitter, which seems to be a long process: 2 replies in 3 hours …..