Returned Sonos one for google chromecast audio haven't looked back.

• 30 November 2017
  • 28 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Wouldn’t coming here to talk about be considered looking back.
Userlevel 2
Badge

WOW exactly what I expected voice controlled sonos to be like.

Interesting. I have a 5 zone Sonos system that works fine minus the voice thing. I also have a Chromecast audio puck lying unused in a desk because I don't like to have to invoke the app every time I want music. In my 5 zones I have 3 with line in jacks vacant. I also have a Google Play subscription; that works very well with Sonos without any need for the CCA puck. Via both the Google app on the phone as well as the one in the Sonos controller.
My questions:
1. What other hardware do I need to get voice to work well?
2. Is this country dependent as Sonos is at this time, limited to US/UK/Germany?
3. Is there a way to access music from the local NAS - I am 99% sure that the answer is no, and this isn't a deal breaker.

1. A google home or a google home mini. I chose the mini. You can then use your audio input to cast to any sonos. I have two google cast as stated above. This works with google play music flawlessly. The other services you mention work with sonos but not with alexa or google. My comparison was with alexa support mostly.
2.IDK I am in US.see this link from sonos
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4251/~/google-home-and-sonos
3. You could cast local music from a computer but no way with voice.

WOW exactly what I expected voice controlled sonos to be like.

Interesting. I have a 5 zone Sonos system that works fine minus the voice thing. I also have a Chromecast audio puck lying unused in a desk because I don't like to have to invoke the app every time I want music. In my 5 zones I have 3 with line in jacks vacant. I also have a Google Play subscription; that works very well with Sonos without any need for the CCA puck. Via both the Google app on the phone as well as the one in the Sonos controller.
My questions:
1. What other hardware do I need to get voice to work well?
2. Is this country dependent as Sonos is at this time, limited to US/UK/Germany?
3. Is there a way to access music from the local NAS - I am 99% sure that the answer is no, and this isn't a deal breaker.