Answered

Preferred speaker function in Alexa no longer working after latest Sonos update

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Working fine for me. Anything changed in your network? Alexa may need to refresh the connections.
So I would submit a diagnostic. You could try logging out of the Alexa app, but I'm doubtful that will fix the issue.
In the Alexa app, I have groups set up so I can use the preferred speaker feature which allows you to say, "Alex, play _____" and it plays through the preferred speaker I set up - my Sonos speakers. Now I have to say, "Alexa, play ____ in the living room" to make it play through the living room Sonos unit. It's supposed to automatically play through the preferred speaker without having to call it by name at the end of the command. Since this functionality was added a few months back, it has always worked perfectly. After the latest Sonos update, it does not. Now, it plays music through the Alexa device unless you tell it to play through a different speaker (Sonos). This was a nice addition when they added it, and I can't figure out why it's not working now.
Can you clarify what's not working? Are you unable to add a Sonos room as a preferred speaker in the app? The preferred speaker is setup, but voice commands aren't working properly?

If it's the former, logging out of your Alexa app and logging back in might help. If it's the latter, it sounds more like an issue on Amazon's side of things. Sonos can't play the music if it never gets the command from Alexa. You could submit a diagnostic
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US after reproducing the error, post it here, and a Sonos employee will come along and tell you what they see on the back end.