Playing from local music library not possible using Alexa/voice control

• 31 December 2017
  • 36 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Most people were aware that the Alexa integration does not currently support local library playback but I think the "no plans to do so" is new information. If you are willing to run a PC on your network it may be possible to do what you want using a 3rd party Alexa skill. It might be worth doing a search on Sonos in the Alexa App skills section to see what options there are.
Semantics. 'Their music' is specific to 'them.' While I agree it is misleading to those of us that have and rely on local libraries, for all others that are streamers it is dead on. And supposedly we're a 7% minority.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
There is a work around for 400 Dollars, get a Synology NAS and put your local music library on the NAS. They are working on an Alexa skill that will allow Alexa to play music on their NAS systems. When it will be ready is anyones guess.

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Inc-Audio-Station/dp/B076PBX4LL

WD MyCloud Home are in beta for a alexa skill, only in the USA as well.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
You can do it for free, using either Alexa or Google Home voice control, with the Yonomi app. Have to set up routines and playlists, but it will play anything Sonos can play, including files from your NAS.

How well does google home works with the sonos system. Alexa is not a great AI when you ask question sometime. Google assistance is much better. I was thinking about going with a google home mini instead of the dot.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I still don't see any obvious technical reason why Sonos couldn't do this if they wanted to, as the growing number of options for controlling non-cloud audio is showing.

IMO it's simply down to Sonos not wanting to put some server code on their Sonos devices (which just run a locked down Linux derivative) that would enable communications with the Alexa code on the Amazon cloud. This is all the solutions such as the Synology are doing, they're running code on a device on your network.

If existing Sonos devices can't handle this then as a long time Sonos user I would be happy to buy a new updated Sonos Connect device that could act as the local library server in a Sonos network and talk to AWS, Google or other services. As the local library index is already held on each Sonos device, would some server code to allow access to that and generate the right command string via a cloud service be that complicated?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
With money virtually everything technically is possible eventually! The question for Sonos is; do they want to allocate some of their finite development resource to a declining market, albeit with a passionate following. 🙂
I'm no conspiracy theorist but don't you think that Amazon has perhaps done a bit of a deal with Sonos to attract people away from Apple Music to the Amazon equivalent. I do seem to remember some nastiness from Apple to Sonos prior to the (first) release of Homepod. I did do a fair bit of research and even without the local library function I'd still rather go for Sonos than Homepod and I'm a huge Apple fan!
So how does Alexa know how to play the next song on my playlist ( which is local )?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
He did? Do you have link...I’m curious about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Interesting. I’m sceptical but if they say so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Alexa has no ability to index your local files. Supposedly Sonos is working on way to do it though. That doesn’t mean they have forgotten local music if they are devoting resources to.