Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Can this be done? Will it sound the same in stereo? I don’t need two microphoned speakers surely.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Totally agree about misrepresentation, hence my interest in a teardown and reviews saying different.

How about a comment on the fact I have personally seen through the grills and the differences are so obvious, in my opinion a teardown is not needed?
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yeah no problem. Reviews mention a different internal layout and it's not so easy to make detail out through the grill.
No detail needed. The audio components are quite obviously visually different. The woofers are larger on the One, the tweeters are mounted differently, and the shapes on the tweeter cones are not alike.
Userlevel 1
So I purchased a new Sonos one speaker just about 30 minutes ago on Amazon. Then I saw a comment on a Youtube review that this doesn't work with the existing Sonos one. That led me to do a Google search. A Google search for "using sonos one with play one" brought me to this thread. Long story short: I've cancelled the order.

A couple things:
- "Sonos One" and "Sonos Play 1" - the naming is confusing. Call it something entirely different. It's a different product and isn't backwards compatible, at least not yet. It's misleading because it makes it sound like I'm getting a better version of the existing product when in fact they're $200 non-compatible speakers.

- When you send this product to reviewers, have them explicitly call out it's not backwards compatible with existing Sonos one speaker. Also, call that out in your marketing videos on Youtube. MAKE IT OBVIOUS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. DO NOT MISLEAD THEM. Staying quiet about it is just as bad as if you lied to me and said it's backwards compatible. This isn't rocket science, folks.

The fact that you guys withhold that information means as a customer, you have lost my trust. I have one Sonos speaker that I was gifted recently. I liked it alot and was considering purchasing a play 5, one additional sonos one, and a sub. This was going to be over a $1K investment in your products. Because you're not transparent, now I don't trust you guys.

Customer lost. Have a great day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So I purchased a new Sonos one speaker just about 30 minutes ago on Amazon. Then I saw a comment on a Youtube review that this doesn't work with the existing Sonos one. That led me to do a Google search. A Google search for "using sonos one with play one" brought me to this thread. Long story short: I've cancelled the order.

A couple things:
- "Sonos One" and "Sonos Play 1" - the naming is confusing. Call it something entirely different. It's a different product and isn't backwards compatible, at least not yet. It's misleading because it makes it sound like I'm getting a better version of the existing product when in fact they're $200 non-compatible speakers.

- When you send this product to reviewers, have them explicitly call out it's not backwards compatible with existing Sonos one speaker. Also, call that out in your marketing videos on Youtube. MAKE IT OBVIOUS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. DO NOT MISLEAD THEM. Staying quiet about it is just as bad as if you lied to me and said it's backwards compatible. This isn't rocket science, folks.

The fact that you guys withhold that information means as a customer, you have lost my trust. I have one Sonos speaker that I was gifted recently. I liked it alot and was considering purchasing a play 5, one additional sonos one, and a sub. This was going to be over a $1K investment in your products. Because you're not transparent, now I don't trust you guys.

It is compatible, as are all Sonos devices since the start of time. It just can’t be stereo paired with a PLAY:1, because they are different speakers. If Sonos had made them physically more different, there would be no complaints.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Aesthetically speaking, as an owner of two black Play 1s, the black Sonos One looks completely different. You might be able to ignore the smaller differences between the two white ones. So even if they do manage to pair the different speakers up, it’s not going to be much use to us obsessive compulsives. :8
I won't be buying a 'smart' Sonos speaker until I can stereo pair it with my old one. If they don't fix this issue I'll just sell my old one and get out of the Sonos ecosystem altogether. What a joke.
I won't be buying a 'smart' Sonos speaker until I can stereo pair it with my old one. If they don't fix this issue I'll just sell my old one and get out of the Sonos ecosystem altogether. What a joke.

That it the most absurd thing I have heard in a while. So what exactly are you going to buy instead, one of the myriad of Sonos' competitors who don't even give you the ability to pair speakers?
I won't be buying a 'smart' Sonos speaker until I can stereo pair it with my old one.
I agree with you here, Paul: for the price paid, it's not unreasonable to expect more. From my perspective, I've always found the "identical speaker" pairing restriction artificial and limiting. Same goes for bonding constraints. While it might not always be audibly optimal, the flexibility to bond/pair any-to-any adds huge value. Why not have TruePlay do its best to optimize mismatched speakers? Let the consumer choose what is "optimal", adjusting their purchase criteria accordingly.

And let's be real about audio fidelity: we're talking wireless connectivity and medium-bit-rate, medium-quantized content here. This is mid-fi, not high-fi. Sonos is more about retrofitting wireless convenience, and it's pretty awesome at that! So why not optimize convenience and flexibility? Why add arbitrary restrictions? Even my portable bluetooth UE Boom, Megaboom, etc allow mismatched model pairing. It seems spiteful that Sonos would intentionally hobble such capabilities. That's something I'd expect from Cupertino...

I'm curiously watching and testing the Chromecast evolution. It's come a good ways in its short lifetime. With new standalone speakers recently joining its lineup, Sonos will hopefully step up their game too.
Even my portable bluetooth UE Boom, Megaboom, etc allow mismatched model pairing.

Not so. While I am not familiar with all such speakers, the ones I know stereo pair only where the models are the same. And in the case of the UE Roll 2, two will not even pair in stereo. What they will do though, along with many others, is double up by having two or more playing the same music in perfect sync. Some will do this across different models. To allow for better music coverage of large spaces.
Sonos does this across all its models, including the One. Where identical models are needed by Sonos is for stereo pairing, where one speaker plays the left channel and other the right.
Anyone that has used HiFi speakers, and Sonos speakers easily qualify for that tag, knows that a stereo system consists of two identical speakers for the stereo pair to be wired to the stereo amplifier.
Userlevel 1

A couple things:

It is compatible, as are all Sonos devices since the start of time. It just can’t be stereo paired with a PLAY:1, because they are different speakers. If Sonos had made them physically more different, there would be no complaints.

>It is compatible,

>It just can’t be stereo paired with a PLAY:1

Why would any one buy it if it can't be stereo paired with the existing speaker? For the ordinary customer (someone who's not a fanboy nor on SONOS' payroll), that means its NOT compatible.
For the ordinary customer (someone who's not a fanboy nor on SONOS' payroll), that means its NOT compatible.
What about the fact that it can play music with any other Sonos speaker ever made in perfect sync with volume levels for the group controlled together or separately from the same controller app? To what kind of customer does that signify compatibility?
What about similar sonic signatures, that allow this grouped play?
Userlevel 1

That it the most absurd thing I have heard in a while. So what exactly are you going to buy instead, one of the myriad of Sonos' competitors who don't even give you the ability to pair speakers?

Can't speak for that poster, but my wife gifted me the play one speaker. We have the receipt and are sending it back to Amazon on Monday.

We're going to probably buy the new speaker from Google.

A customer returning your product and taking their business to your competitor. "Absurd"
Userlevel 1
For the ordinary customer (someone who's not a fanboy nor on SONOS' payroll), that means its NOT compatible.
What about the fact that it can play music with any other Sonos speaker ever made in perfect sync with volume levels for the group controlled together or separately from the same controller app? To what kind of customer does that signify compatibility?
What about similar sonic signatures, that allow this grouped play?

Ahh, the fanboys start defending this company's bad practice.

I don't care if it's in sync. I would never buy two speakers for $400 if they can't give me stereo sound.

"similar sonic signatures"
It really doesn't bother me to be called a fanboy. At my age, it is water off a ducks back. I use Sonos, Bose, Apple as and where they work for me. Fanboy of all, employee of none. I wish the last wasn't the case though.

I notice you did not answer a direct question, about what you would call a customer to whom what Sonos does qualifies for compatibility. Oops....fanboy?
Can't speak for that poster, but my wife gifted me the play one speaker. We have the receipt and are sending it back to Amazon on Monday.

We're going to probably buy the new speaker from Google.

A customer returning your product and taking their business to your competitor. "Absurd"

No, "absurd" would be returning a wireless multi-room streaming speaker you actually can pair together for stereo, just not like models, for a speaker which you cannot stereo pair together ANY models, the same or not. That, is truly absurd.
I don't care if it's in sync. I would never buy two speakers for $400 if they can't give me stereo sound.

"similar sonic signatures"

Uhhh, you don't care if stereo sound is in sync? Kind of an important trait of stereo sound there, bub. Also, you should know that your threat to buy Google fails your requirement that the speaker be able to pair for stereo sound, and thus fails your definition of compatibility. So hurl all the fanboy insults you want, at least we actually know what we are buying (or threatening to buy in a "or the bunny gets it" lame attempt at bending a company to your mighty will). 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Why would any one buy it if it can't be stereo paired with the existing speaker? For the ordinary customer (someone who's not a fanboy nor on SONOS' payroll), that means its NOT compatible.

I believe I explained that. Read it again ... take it slowly now. (Perhaps it will help if you move your lips while you read.)
Really dissapinted sonos , so to confirm this will not a software update that will come and sort this pairing issue ? If this is the case I may as well return my new sonos with my 100 day trial. Not good after one days use 😞
Badge
Add my fustration to this, going to return my Sonos 1 I’ve just bought. Very disappointed I cant get the stereo I had with the 2 play 1’s I had before I sold one to get the Sonos 1
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So for those who question the appearance... think back to when Sonos offered the Play:1 Tone... a Play:1 speaker in all black or all white, not unlike the Sonos One.

This picture has a Sonos One and a Play:1 Tone in it. Can you tell which is which? :)

I will concede that there are differences in the speaker elements (a version of this picture that I took with flash made that a bit more evident, especially in the tweeter), and thus the audio output could be different. However, I would be surprised if the difference were significant enough for most people to notice. I've had my Sonos One and Play:1 grouped together in the same room and couldn't tell that there was any major difference in the audio between the two speakers. I would be more than happy to have a stereo pair of these two speakers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
It's hard not to have some sympathy for this request to be honest.

If you'd bought a 5.1 Sonos system using Play:1's for example then making it voice compatible by swapping one of the Play:1's for the voice enabled Sonos One would be very attractive. Personally, I think Sonos have missed a huge opportunity here. Even if you just had a simple stereo pair of Play:1's you might be more tempted to buy a Sonos One over an Echo Dot if you could replace one of the Play:1's. This might even encourage people to use the spare speaker to expand their system further.

Instead I think a lot of people are feeling a bit disappointed that you can't do this, and this instead makes you less likely to dive in. Especially with the standard price of an Echo Dot, the discount voucher, and the very early stage of the integration currently on offer. I'm not sure I'd even want a stereo pair of Sonos One's in the same room. It's just going to be confusing for Alexa, especially with Alexa's lack of ability to know what room it's in. If Amazon add this (let's hope they do) then how confused is that going to get with two Alexa devices in close proximity, let alone 5 in a surround setup.

The latter is more of an Amazon problem, but I'm not sure that Sonos have thought through properly what happens if/when Amazon do add room support properly to Alexa. If they allowed the new speaker to pair with Play:1's then they'd open up a pattern for the 3 & 5 speakers too, where they could release a voice enabled Sonos Three and Five for example to integrate into existing systems.

To be fair to Sonos, the whole voice assistant thing is very embryonic right now, and a lot of the problems they have are down to this, but there is some serious work required to make this properly usable in all but the simplest single room Sonos systems...
Badge
Oh how i wish i had seen this thread before i stumped up £199 on the Play One! Hoped to add it to my Playbase surround system in the lounge. As it wont pair with the 1 I can't use them as the surround speakers! I have a Play 3 and 1's throughout the house but want the One in the lounge to use Alexa. So frustrating.
Super disappointing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Totally disappointed that you can’t create a stereo pair wit one and play one, feel let down.