No longer skipping or looping, what happened?

• 23 April 2020
  • 8 replies

I’ve been using Sonos system with units throughout my house for a couple of years.

Recently, (just over a month) I’ve been noticing that when we tell Alexa to skip a song, it tells us that we can’t, even when running iHeart Radio.

The second issue that has also been going on for about a month is looping.  At night we like to listen to Rain/Thunderstorms while we sleep.  Normally, after requesting Alexia play Thunderstorms, we then tell Alexa “Loop On”.  This will play the 5 minute Sound until we turn it off in the morning.  Now when we request Loop On, Alexa says it cannot loop music.

What has changed?  I see that several people have made similar posts and I wanted to add my own so Sonos will see that this is a problem.

Jeff

Southern Florida

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Hi @jmad57. Thanks for posting and sorry for the delay.

Alexa capabilities and responses (when not network related) are widely facilitated and controlled by the service themselves. While I have not personally used this feature before, I would be happy to look into this inquiry. To start, would you be able to provide me with a diagnostic report of your Sonos system? This will allow me to see the system and logged information in more detail. By providing me with the confirmation number, I would be happy to proceed.

Thanks for the diagnostic. The information provided does not really show me issues regarding your inquiry.

Moving forward, I would recommend reaching out to Amazon to assess if this feature has been pulled or this issue can be troubleshot on their end. Alternatively, you can always give us a call so we may attempt to resolve this issue live. The additional tools the live agents use may help with your inquiry further.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thanks for the diagnostic. The information provided does not really show me issues regarding your inquiry.

Moving forward, I would recommend reaching out to Amazon to assess if this feature has been pulled or this issue can be troubleshot on their end. Alternatively, you can always give us a call so we may attempt to resolve this issue live. The additional tools the live agents use may help with your inquiry further.

The team is working on a fix for this. At least they said so?

Your answer doesn’t make me feel well to be honest.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/wont-skip-track-6830267

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-will-not-skip-songs-with-alexa-6838756

i’m having the same issue with sleep sounds not looping and it’s very irritating. i did try to use other alexa skills but they all seem to have the same issue so my thought is sonos killed something. so far my only solution is to play it on my iphone alexa app and use airplay to the speaker but the sound isn’t the same. 

this is something we’ve used constantly and one of our drivers to get the beam in the bedroom. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @sterfrydude.

Thanks for reaching out.

Sorry to hear about that trouble, let me help and try to figure this out.

• Using the Sonos app, navigate to Settings > System > Date & Time, and confirm that Set Time from the Internet is enabled.
  • To verify if the basic and non-playback command works, ask Alexa for the time or weather.
  • Try to reproduce the issue, then please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number so I can review your system.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

@Annazel S The time is set correctly and the normal alexa commands work. In fact, i can initiate sleep sounds but it will stop after the first run rather than looping playback. Diagnostic 1186979387.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @sterfrydude.

Thanks for your response and for your effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic result, there are visible communication errors detected by the system, usually caused by wireless interference.

Inconsistent system issues that include dropping players, services being unreachable, and music not playing properly tend to be the result of these errors, this article will help you reduce wireless interference around Sonos products.

I also noticed that the command was seems to be initiated but at some point, somethings stopping the connection from the server.

Let’s try clearing if there’s any communication conflict, by following these steps accordingly:

• Kindly verify your Alexa account by asking  "Alexa, what account is this?" to confirm the active account on the system.
  • Using the Sonos app, confirm which email address is currently associated with the Alexa service, Settings > Services > Amazon Alexa. The associated email address will be displayed under the Room's Name
  • Deregister all Sonos products from the Alexa app, Alexa app > Settings > Devices Settings > select the device and deregister it.
  • Disable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app. DO NOT re-enable the skill, leave it disabled.
  • Now, remove Voice Services for all voice-enabled Sonos devices under the Amazon Alexa menu in the Sonos app, one room at a time. Tap on the Settings tab > Services & Voice > Amazon Alexa > Select the room > choose the option to Remove Amazon Alexa.
  • Before adding the voice service, start by logging out of all Amazon Apps on the mobile device, i.e. Alexa app, Amazon Shopping App, Amazon Music and Video apps, and not to forget, signing out of Amazon.com from the mobile web browser.
  • Go through the Alexa Setup in Sonos again.
  • When prompted, log in with the correct Amazon account in the Sonos app Voice Services set up.
  • .Ensure this is the correct Amazon account to link Alexa.
  • Once re-enabled, test it, start by asking her the weather, then initiate the sleep sound command and see if it will still stop.

If the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number.

I’ll review the result to see if there are any changes.