Question

New Sonos One Alexa won't control existing Play 3 and 5 speakers

• 10 January 2018
  • 1 reply

When I choose my new Sonos One through the Sonos App my music plays throughout my system no problem but if I try to use the Alexa App or tell Alexa directly to play music on the other speakers it will only play on the Sonos One speaker and not on the rest. I have them all set up correctly, I can see all the different speakers on the Alexa App and on the Sonos list, I have even created groups no problem. I just want to be able to voice control Alexa to play music on all my speakers....surely that's not hard...what am I doing wrong?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Have you grouped your Sonos Players together in the Sonos App? If so, asking Alexa to play on any player in the group will cause Audio to be output across the whole group. (If you're trying to use Alexa groups then these aren't yet support by the Sonos skill) e.g. Create a group containing Kitchen Sonos, Lounge Sonos & Bedroom Sonos, then ask 'Alexa, Play soft jazz on Kitchen Sonos' will cause soft jazz to be output on Kitchen Sonos, Lounge Sonos & Bedroom Sonos

If you want different music on your other Sonos Players then just include the Room Name in the command. e.g. 'Alexa, Play soft jazz on Lounge Sonos'