New Skill Enables Managing Groups of Sonos Speakers with Alexa

• 19 September 2018
  • 31 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello everyone,
Would love this to be in French also.
Let me know if I can help with some translations :)

I second this for German (and to work in France).

Alexa groups aren't really a good option because Alexa can't play the music stored on NAS, which is still 90% of want I want to play. (Or can I just use Alexa to group the Sonoses without having to start to play something from Spotify?)

Neither Google or Alexa allow the playing of locally stored music currently, so Sonos can't either via voice control.
Badge +1

Neither Google or Alexa allow the playing of locally stored music currently, so Sonos can't either via voice control.

Exactly, which is why we need something like SpeakerGroups. I generally have a long playlist that I like to take with me from room to room, so grouping and ungrouping per voice command would be great.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Actually you can, though only US users currently. My "My Speaker" skill gives you voice control over your locally stored Sonos music, and is current in testing in other English-speaking locales. Hope to release it for non-US accounts in about three weeks.
Badge +1

Actually you can, though only US users currently. My "My Speaker" skill gives you voice control over your locally stored Sonos music, and is current in testing in other English-speaking locales. Hope to release it for non-US accounts in about three weeks.

Sounds good. Same offer as above - if you would be willing to go non-English (German/French) I'd be willing to help.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello everyone,
Would love this to be in French also.
Let me know if I can help with some translations :)

I second this for German (and to work in France).

Alexa groups aren't really a good option because Alexa can't play the music stored on NAS, which is still 90% of want I want to play. (Or can I just use Alexa to group the Sonoses without having to start to play something from Spotify?)

That's not 100% true because you can use the IFTT integration to trigger some of your Sonos favorites via Alexa, and those can include locally stored music. There are quite a few drawbacks, however. It doesn't work for playlists, just favorites that are names of local folders. And you need to define a separate IFTT trigger for each one.

But it's not useless. Our particular default Sonos use case is to shuffle our home library for all-day background music and we can get that via "Alexa, trigger 'Our Music'". We can also use triggers to activate pre-defined volume levels by name; i.e."Alexa, trigger nighttime volume".
Userlevel 2
Works really well most of the time. In many cases it is not hearing the name of the groups or speakers correctly which only seems to happen on the sonos one.

One thing that I’m missing is to be able to use this in an Alexa routine. I want to group two sonos speakers every morning for my wake up alarm. was super surprised sonos don’t support this in their alarm settings and Alexa can’t seem to help with it either.