Answered

Microphone sensitivity for the “Alexa” wake word is low

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

262 replies

Though the microphones work great in the majority of homes and setups, we're at that point where we're collecting more and more samples and fine-tuning the microphones.

I wonder, though, if your analytics will capture the dozens of times that “Alexa!” fails to trigger? I find myself having to shout up to three times to finally trigger a response from the One, while speaking in a normal voice would ALWAYS trigger the Echo, which was placed in exactly the same location. This is a serious issue, which needs to be resolved.
Userlevel 1
+1 here also. Would be good to get some certainty around a fix date as others have mentioned here.
+1 on this. Pleased it will be resolved though. I don't want to send my Sonos One back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I just can't get my head round this. The Echos and Dots, I believe, detect the wake word using the microphones and processing on the device itself (we are assured nothing is sent to the cloud until the wake word has been recognised and the lights come on) so I assume it's the same on the Sonos One. Surely Sonos tested the Sonos One in a few people's homes before releasing it to make sure that the microphones and the software, etc on the device worked. So how is it that lots of people are experiencing wake word detection to be so much worse than the Echo devices? And how can we be sure this can be fixed with only device software (not hardware) updates?

If we bought our Sonos Ones from Sonos then we have the option to return them in 100 days if this doesn't get better, but if we bought them elsewhere we may have only 30 days or less for this.

The listening is done at the player level of things, the microphones don't send anything up until the wake word is detected. However, software updates with the data of what the wake word sounds like go from the cloud to the player. Basically, the cloud trains the player on what to be listening for. That learning happens over time, and therefore it's a gradual process, one that's been taking place for over a year on Echo devices. There probably isn't going to be a single update that says "microphones fixed". They will get better over time.

The microphones on the Sonos One can be quite sensitive. I had an early test version that picked up just about anything with an "s" sound as a wake word. It's gotten a lot better. Picking out what is and isn't a wake sound is all about pinning down excess noise and figuring out accents, tone, and pitch, all while sorting through background noise.
I’m having the same problems. Poor wakeboard performance. Please fix asap
Hope this microphone problem fixes soon, otherwise I will send back my Sonos One. My echo dot is so much better....
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
So, are we talking days, months, years? Will the improvement be before the 100 days return window expires? I'm close to sending 3 Sonos Ones back now.
Though the microphones work great in the majority of homes and setups, we're at that point where we're collecting more and more samples and fine-tuning the microphones. Voice control improves in stages, so I'd expect to see improvements as releases come. There isn't just going to be one update, but several that continue to tine the microphones and the Sonos One in general. One top of the microphones, you'll see the Alexa skill get better too, improvements on that may be as quick as every couple weeks, you might not notice what's changed though, depending on what it's targeted at. Those updates would largely be handled on the cloud side of things, so it wouldn't be a software update on your system (those will come too though).

My suggestion would be to keep using the Sonos One. If you do have a lot of trouble with it hearing you, see if there's anything that might be causing a lot of background noise right next to it. That would help in the short term.

I just can't get my head round this. The Echos and Dots, I believe, detect the wake word using the microphones and processing on the device itself (we are assured nothing is sent to the cloud until the wake word has been recognised and the lights come on) so I assume it's the same on the Sonos One. Surely Sonos tested the Sonos One in a few people's homes before releasing it to make sure that the microphones and the software, etc on the device worked. So how is it that lots of people are experiencing wake word detection to be so much worse than the Echo devices? And how can we be sure this can be fixed with only device software (not hardware) updates?

If we bought our Sonos Ones from Sonos then we have the option to return them in 100 days if this doesn't get better, but if we bought them elsewhere we may have only 30 days or less for this.
I'll pile on. I love how the sonos one sounds, but the mic is the worst. If I knew for a fact this was going to be fixed in a week or two I'd hold on to it. As it is I'm returning it for an echo. Dumb me thought at least the voice recognition would be decent so I splurged for the better sound.
+1 for this. Just got mine set up and from about 10 feet away I have to shout to get it to recognize me and I'm not a quiet person. Good to hear a fix is coming...
+1 to this frustration. After using an Echo for over a year, it's annoying to have to yell at the Sonos One. I've bought two for a small room, and at 2 meters away the One will still have a 50% wake rate.

Really looking forward to the software update, but also considering returning until that time.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I can agree, i have to practically shout at the player. Where the original echo picks it up from three rooms further, sonos one doesnt even hear it when im 2.5m away without getting irritatingly loud. if possible, please adjust asap. I think if its software, allow people to set the sensitivity themselves in the room settings of the player would be the best option.
Badge
Also experiencing the need to speak a little louder, but it's not a showstopper.

What's more annoying to me is the "I'm listening" beep. Way too loud for my taste, and it gets even louder when the music volume is turned up. A setting to adjust that beep volume would be appreciated.
Just thought I’d pile on here. Switched from a dot to the One and am getting really frustrated with the incostsant response from the One. Will likely return the One if the issue is not fixed soon.
I don't know that this is strictly a sensitivity issue -- after some more testing, I can stand 3 feet away from the ONE, without changing pronounciation, volume, or tone, and say Alexa multiple times. It will pick up, at best, every other "Alexa". I expected the speak to play features to be beta, but just hearing the wake word is the most core of features the ONE is purchased for!
Yes - this is a really annoying bug. I switched back to the Echo after two days of yelling "Alexa" into the void with no response. I can live with some of the Alexa software features not being ready for launch, but this kind of bug should have been sorted out before the product shipped. If there's no software fix in the next week or two I'll definitely be returning it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
So, are we talking days, months, years? Will the improvement be before the 100 days return window expires? I'm close to sending 3 Sonos Ones back now.
Though the microphones work great in the majority of homes and setups, we're at that point where we're collecting more and more samples and fine-tuning the microphones. Voice control improves in stages, so I'd expect to see improvements as releases come. There isn't just going to be one update, but several that continue to tine the microphones and the Sonos One in general. One top of the microphones, you'll see the Alexa skill get better too, improvements on that may be as quick as every couple weeks, you might not notice what's changed though, depending on what it's targeted at. Those updates would largely be handled on the cloud side of things, so it wouldn't be a software update on your system (those will come too though).

My suggestion would be to keep using the Sonos One. If you do have a lot of trouble with it hearing you, see if there's anything that might be causing a lot of background noise right next to it. That would help in the short term.
I also “upgraded” from a Play:1 with Echo Dot to a Play One and can confirm the mic sensitivity in the Play One is terrible. I have to basically be in front of the speaker and be speaking loudly for it to hear me. I’m hopeful that a software update will fix this.
Just set up my Sonos 1 speakers, I was actually looking at how to change the Wake word since it is different on my other units but looking at the answers here I think I will leave the speaker's wake word set to the default Alexis and leave my other units set to a different wake word, then they won't get confused about what system I am speaking to
Same here, while all my other Echos (even in other rooms) pick up the wake word...my One doesn’t. Pretty frustrating.
Will the improvement be before the 100 days return window expires?
Now that is what I would call an excellent question.
Hope that nice looking Sonos One won't be collecting dust for too long.
What will stop it from playing music of high sound quality?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Thanks for sharing everyone. The team is constantly working with gathered data around the microphones as we tune the Sonos One and Alexa to improve the microphone’s ability to pick out just the right sounds. This’ll get better over time as Alexa and the Sonos One learns.
So, I'm switching back to my Echo Dot for now. Beta or not, I use a lot of smart home features and it's simply getting too annoying. Hope that nice looking Sonos One won't be collecting dust for too long.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for sharing everyone. The team is constantly working with gathered data around the microphones as we tune the Sonos One and Alexa to improve the microphone’s ability to pick out just the right sounds. This’ll get better over time as Alexa and the Sonos One learns.
Agree with all, I find myself shouting at the One (even when there is no music playing) - something that I've never had to do with Echo's or Dots, and it often doesn't pick up Alexa. Hopefully the updates fix this bug