Answered

Changing Sonos "wake word" (Sonos Arc with Sub 3)

• 8 October 2020
  • 31 replies

Show first post

31 replies

Badge

I'd like to change the wake word and also I prefer the  male voice...which I use on my other amazon devices

With one of our daughters named Alexa - it makes the Alexa voice assistant completely useless - if I can’t change the wake word the way I’ve changed it on all the Alexa enabled Amazon devices scattered around the house.  

And as a software developer myself, it should be an easy change to make. Because they already have most of the the code you’d need in the Alexa software that runs on the Amazon devices.

So please do you whatever you need to do to work with Amazon to add it to the Sonos devices too. 

Badge

I too would like to change the (alexa) wake word for my new Sonos ARC speaker..

Badge

I too want to change the wake word.

Badge

I would support being able to change the name/wake word as well, but not for the obvious reason. I believe it’s an equity issue.

By having only “Alexa” be the wake word, it creates by default a female role in a servant/subservient mode. I’m surprised that it hasn’t been mentioned before- but not all housekeeper maids are women.

We should all stop perpetuating stereotypes as doing so voids or makes other identities invisible. I would furthermore suggest that a gender-free name and voice should also be an option for those Sonos customers who may not identify themselves as male or female. There really should be a “she”, “he”, and “they” option for not only voice tones, but names/wake words as well.

Sonos, I just read you recently received a very high rating for having a workplace that was inclusive and welcoming for LGBTQ people. Now how about making your software as welcoming and inclusive???

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Alexa on Sonos is lagging behind on the technical changes Amazon has made for their own platform. There the system can have a masculine voice and also answer to Computer, Ziggy, Echo and Amazon. Not sure if this lies with Sonos or Amazon though.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/21/22587130/alexa-masculine-voice-gender-ziggy-amazon-smart-assistant

Maybe they can bring this to Sonos too.