Beam says it doesn't support Routines but then executes it

• 26 September 2018
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Weird scenario on my Beam - I have a 'night' routine set up on Alexa. When I request it on my Beam the response is that the device does not support that function, and then it duly executes the routine (turning off all lights in the house) - strange. I get the feeling this is a bug. Am I correct or is there something else going on that I should know about?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Try this from another post on this site:
The following courtesy of simplelife78

Fixed the problem by completing the below:

I created a new Routine with a very different name. I had a Routine called "Alexa, Wake up" - The routine turned on a few Phillips Hue globes, which enabled us to stumble to the kitchen in our post sleep daze to make the coffees and not trip over a cat. But my new Beam kept announcing “Audio actions in routines are not available on this device” So I created a new Routine called "Alexa, Farting pickle" the new Routine turned on the same Hue globes as the previous "Alexa, Wake Up" Routine and the Beam stopped announcing “Audio actions in routines are not available on this device”. Very happy me.

However, when I Edited the name of the Routine back to "Alexa, Wake Up" the “Audio actions in routines are not available on this device” miraculously returned. After a brief scream of frustration I again edited the name of the Routine to "Alexa, Coffee Time" and Happy Days, the “Audio actions in routines are not available on this device” did not appear.

My problem is now solved... in part to a Farting Pickle 😛
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
The errors are back for me, unfortunately.
Userlevel 2
Badge
So you can add a routine (that involves some sort of audio action) to your sonos device and there is no message saying it doesnt support routines before it executes it?
If so then you are the only sonos owner in the world without this issue. I find this a bit difficult to believe. Please tell me whats in the routine?
Same here, but without errors.

What do you mean it plays music? This is a sound bar. It would be very strange if id wouldn't. What I'm saying is that you can not add audio actions to your routines, can you?

I'm saying that I CAN add audio actions to my routines and they work fine. The only different thing is that message at the beginning of the routine which is very annoying because is FALSE.
Badge

No it doesn't.
If you specify a vocal answer, it will excuse.
You can't add a song or song list to your routine.

Well, it does. The routine has a vocal answer, plays music and turn off a light and everything works perfect, it only adds that advice at the beginning of the routine. I don't know what your experience is with it, but in my case, the routine does everything it supposed to do.

What do you mean it plays music? This is a sound bar. It would be very strange if id wouldn't. What I'm saying is that you can not add audio actions to your routines, can you?

No it doesn't.

Well, it does. The routine has a vocal answer, plays music and turn off a light and everything works perfect, it only adds that advice at the beginning of the routine. I don't know what your experience is with it, but in my case, the routine does everything it supposed to do.
Badge
I have the exact same issue. I bought my Beam yesterday and when I tried my routines it says that, so annoying! The weird thing is that the routine works perfect, it does everything it supposed to do.
No it doesn't.
You can't group it with your Echo devices to play music everywhere.
etc.
Basically, the Alexa software on Sonos devices (or any other third party devices) have limited functionalities.
This is because Amazon is trying to sell its own Echo devices. But I think this way Amazon is shooting itself in the foot.
I have the exact same issue. I bought my Beam yesterday and when I tried my routines it says that, so annoying! The weird thing is that the routine works perfect, it does everything it supposed to do.
The same with my Sonos One. 😞
Userlevel 2
Badge
Doesnt say it for my good night routine though!
If i don't specify a vocal reaction to me it just says "OK" and runs the routine. If i try this with my good morning routine it still says routines are not supported.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Never mnd i did contact sosnos about this last week and they had no suggestions.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Just checked. Im running 10.0

Oh...
Userlevel 2
Badge
Just checked. Im running 10.0
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sonos app says im up.to date
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Wish i could say the same. Still there.....

There’s a new software update available, 10.0
Userlevel 2
Badge
Wish i could say the same. Still there.....
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Oh, yeah. 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Same experience here. Error is gone.
This issue was bugging us too... and then suddenly tonight, our Beam just executed the routine with no complaint!Yes, I just tried it too with my Alexa routines and the 'Audio Actions in Routines ....' response message has now gone. Looks like Amazon and Sonos have fixed the issue following the latest update.?
Badge +1
This issue was bugging us too... and then suddenly tonight, our Beam just executed the routine with no complaint!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I have the same issue @Ryan S, please do something to fix it because is so annoying that our speakers gives us the line "Audio actions in routines are currently not supported on this device" and then executes without any problem.
Badge
I think advertising that Sonos Beam comes with built-in Alexa is misleading. Sonos should mention that Sonos Beam doesn't support all Amazon Alexa features. Or at least they should update Beam and fix this issue. Ignoring customers won't never help.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Oh, I’ve had this problem since the very beginning. I just gave up on doing any routines, and forgot all about it until I stumbled across this thread.
Badge
Currently, Sonos One and Beam can initiate Routines, but you can't include Sonos devices in a Routine. So if your Routine is to turn off the lights, it should simply perform that action. If it were to turn off the lights and play white noise, that second part can't be set-up to target Sonos devices.
Are there any plans to fix this issue, so that Sonos can also play the song which is part of a routing?