Answered

Audible ?

• 19 November 2017
  • 66 replies

Userlevel 2
I have just bought a Sonos One. The sound is great. The Alexa integration doesn't seem to work well. A lot of the skills just don't work. Audible is really important for me and I thought it would be possible to play through Alexa. It tells me it is about to play my book..but nothing happens.

Audible is 80% of my use case. I might have to take it back
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 March 2018, 20:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hey I’m happy it finally made it. Keep the faith and enjoy your music (and books).
@chris: ok. your predictions were not as wrong as i thought. actually you came pretty close regarding the date, so i have to admit, that your research was good - regarding the reasons for this whole audible / sonos trouble, im still a little "unfaithful", but well, that doesn't really matter anymore. happy to have audible on Sonos now.
:D There's always someone along to find downside of any good news.
Yep. But then this thread is about Alexa integration with Audible on a Sonos One
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
😃 There's always someone along to find downside of any good news.
Hi everyone, I'm spreading the news. Starting today, I can officially announce that Audible is back on Sonos, starting today. See more here in our official announcement post.

Well, that's good news, apart from the "Later this year, you’ll also be able to use Alexa to control what’s playing from Audible on Sonos." This is what I'd expected now to be honest. 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, I'm spreading the news. Starting today, I can officially announce that Audible is back on Sonos, starting today. See more here in our official announcement post.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Maybe today is the day?

Why do you think this?

Just because it’s a Tuesday and updates tend to be on Tuesdays :)

Nothing here.
Maybe today is the day?

Why do you think this?

Just because it’s a Tuesday and updates tend to be on Tuesdays 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Maybe today is the day?

Why do you think this?
Maybe today is the day?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Come on, bring on the Audible support! I’m having so many issues with the Sonos One relating to Alexa/Amazon functions. I realize this may be Amazon causing problems to try and drive traffic to their own hardware, but then just tell us that! Then we can put pressure on Amazon to stop trying to be like Apple.

Don’t want to hurt your relationship with Amazon? Release the information anonymously. Show us you care about your customers. I’m a new one. Give me a reason to stay your customer.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I don’t think we’re going to see the end of this story for a while.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I was expecting by 2/27 but looks like its not making it in February as expected. I can't believe it will take long into March. Audible support continues to drag on.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Audible will probably be available when it isn't important anymore and way after you would expect that it will be delivered. So disappointing. I bought an echo as a work around and disable Alexa on the Sonos One.
You'd think someone asking for Audible would quote from a book, not a song. 😉
...2018. March. Still waiting...
"At first flash of Eden, we race down to the sea.
Standing there on Freedom's Shore..."
100% incorrect and based on no facts whatsoever.
So Chris, what are the facts that back your theory, then? Even though I hoped different, Your predictions were wrong, I'm afraid
Found an acceptable alternative for now: AUDIOBOOKS.COM. It works with Sonos! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
100% incorrect and based on no facts whatsoever.
If Amazon would allow SONOS to stream Audiobooks than SONOS would do it. You buy SONOS for the music not for books.

I assume, it's not a technical issue at all, it's a legal/money issue, pure and simple. Sonos obvioulsy does not want to pay the licence fees for streaming audible contents to amazon, which amazon demands. I just cannot believe, that it takes 2 years to solve al technichal issue. They seem to just not reach an agreement on the terms or on the extend of fees.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
You buy SONOS for the music not for books.

Actually, one of the reasons I bought Sonos (which at the time worked with Audible) was to listen to Audible books about music. Many of these audio books contain extensive music excerpts.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
SONOS is all about music - it is one of the best music platforms out there. They not only bring new technology to the market but also continue to support their old technology. Just because there is a new Play:5 for example, does not mean they don’t support the old play:5 - See if BOSE does that - nope they don’t. I have old Bose wireless speakers which are now obsolete- no more firmware updates $250+ wasted. AUDIBLE is great. I listen to books too - SONOS has Audiobooks.com. Unfortunately DRM prevents moving audible books to other platforms and vise versa ECT etc - I love music - I have a lot of $$ in my SONOS system. The SONOS One is a great platform. I have four ONES I use them to play music - control my IoT devices and other services - not all work with the One - don’t care - it’s all about the music. The point was also made - This isn’t a SONOS issue - it’s a Amazon issue. If Amazon would allow SONOS to stream Audiobooks than SONOS would do it. You buy SONOS for the music not for books.
Badge +3
This is the response from Audible.

Thank you for contacting Audible!

We completely understand your point regarding playing the audiobooks through Sonos.

We would like to inform you that our Audible development team is working with Sonos Team on it as we received many of our customer's feedback on this issue. As we are working with Sonos team this feature will be available very soon.

Although we are sorry to hear you are unhappy regarding Sonos, we do appreciate your feedback. Constructive criticism in these situations allows us to make changes where there is room for improvement. Comments such as yours provide valuable insight into these matters, so we greatly appreciate that you have taken the time to reach out to us.

As soon as your request becomes available, we will definitely let you know about this through our website.

Once again we apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused to you. The company is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be valuable since you are a valuable customer for us.

Your patience and understanding is highly appreciated in this matter.
I always laugh at people who threaten to throw their Sonos in the trash, when they could very easily sell them for a great return. They are either fools, or they are full of it, and either way, it is quite a silly tantrum to throw.
After years of waiting for Sonos to bring Audible back, my Sonos speakers are being thrown in the trash today as I will not be gifting these to anyone as I will tell them to get an Apple HomePod! I bought two Apple Homepods today and guess what? I can play Audible through my speakers directly from my phone! I also no longer have to play my podcasts through the Sonos app that removed the scrub bar that prevented me from rewinding my podcasts! In order to rewind podcasts on Sonos I had to go back to the beginning!! Not anymore!