Alexa to Multiple Rooms

• 4 October 2017
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Defining groups in the Alexa app is not supported, and as you've found, is spotty at best. Grouping should take place in the Sonos app, until such time as grouping is supported via Alexa.
OK, I'll admit I'm confused, and don't quite understand. What I've done is taken the stereo pair in my bedroom, and in the controller app, grouped it with the bathroom speaker. Then, when I want it to play, I say "Alexa, resume in the bathroom", and both the bathroom and bedroom speakers, which were grouped, start to play.

I don't define groups in the Alexa app. I only group them in the Sonos app. So perhaps I'm not the best one to be answering you.

Airgetlam

The issue is, my grouped living room speakers are right next to my bar and kitchen, so, ideally, I would create a larger group on the app and play music out of all of them, as I have done for the last several years. But Alexa will not recognize that group. In device discovery, she will still group stereo pairs, but that’s it. When I try to group different rooms as I have done on the app, she won’t do it and will get confused and start malfunctioning, playing music out of the wrong speakers.

Alexa does not recognize groups. However, if you group 3 rooms, say Room 1, 2 and 3 via the Sonos app, and then say "Alexa, play Tom Petty in Room 3", it will play in the entire group.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Paul_51, any grouping still needs to be done in the controller app, as there are no voice commands (yet) for groupiing. You should have been able to "Play in living room" and then go to the controller app and group in any other room you desired.

jimlytton13, as has been noted several times across multiple threads, there are no grouping commands currently available for voice control. However, I believe I recall in the flurry of posts that someone has said it was on the list of things they want to get done, without giving any timelines. This is the normal mode of operation for most software related companies, since it's not a known quantity on how difficult a task is, much less what other priorities may come up that take away the resources that are addressing the issue.

Airgetlam

The issue is, my grouped living room speakers are right next to my bar and kitchen, so, ideally, I would create a larger group on the app and play music out of all of them, as I have done for the last several years. But Alexa will not recognize that group. In device discovery, she will still group stereo pairs, but that’s it. When I try to group different rooms as I have done on the app, she won’t do it and will get confused and start malfunctioning, playing music out of the wrong speakers.
Paul_51, any grouping still needs to be done in the controller app, as there are no voice commands (yet) for groupiing. You should have been able to "Play in living room" and then go to the controller app and group in any other room you desired.

jimlytton13, as has been noted several times across multiple threads, there are no grouping commands currently available for voice control. However, I believe I recall in the flurry of posts that someone has said it was on the list of things they want to get done, without giving any timelines. This is the normal mode of operation for most software related companies, since it's not a known quantity on how difficult a task is, much less what other priorities may come up that take away the resources that are addressing the issue.
I have 10 sonos speakers spread throughout my house. Putting them all into one group is not prefered. I tried telling Alexa to play in 'kitchen' and 'office'. It didn't like that. Is there an eta for either adding grouping within Alexa or for adding verbal commands such as 'and' or 'all'?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Your reply is part correct I think. I have three grouped speakers in my living room, a sub and two play 5s for stereo, and when I ask Alexa to “ play living room” that will indeed work. But when I try to add in speakers from other rooms, Alexa seems incapable...
Grouping Sonos devices is one of the things listed as not yet available. This is too bad, as having the same thing playing in multiple rooms is (for me) the biggest benefit of Sonos. Currently you can send music to individual Sonos devices but (for me) there was a lag between rooms.

Group using the Sonos app, then tell Alexa to play to any grouped speaker. The entire group will then play it in sync. You can also group after the fact.
Grouping Sonos devices is one of the things listed as not yet available. This is too bad, as having the same thing playing in multiple rooms is (for me) the biggest benefit of Sonos. Currently you can send music to individual Sonos devices but (for me) there was a lag between rooms.
+1 for playing in more than one room. It would just be nice to be able to say "Play on all" for now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It's best to have the names be different so that Alexa knows which one you mean to target. Otherwise, it might try playing music out of your lights.

Grouping Sonos players using Alexa's voice control isn't available right now, but we'd love to add it in. We're working to add more commands and functionality all the time.