Alexa Sonos Roam

Show first post

64 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I also noticed differentiation between Roam/Alexa vs. other Sonos speakers (Ones) and Alexa.

If I say to Roam:  “Alexa, play NPR” - it says - “playing NPR”, but then ….. silence.    This does NOT happen with any of my Sonos Ones (only the Roam).    I disabled and re-enabled the NPR skill, and that seemed to fix it -- but the fix stuck only for a while.    Not sure why this would only impact the Roam, but not other Sonos speakers.

This is my problem as well.  Roam responds saying it understands command but refuses to execute instruction.  Everything else in my Sonos system works with Alexa as expected.  This is definitely a Roam - Alexa issue with the problem lying in the Sonos court.  Having waited for battery powered Sonos to use at the swimming pool for the last 6 to 8 years this is mighty disappointing but I’ve come to expect this lethargic (meaning non-existant) response from Sonos.  I’m expecting the response, if any, from Sonos will be measured in years rather that months!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@paulwhkh fabulous suggestion! Something Sonos did broke this. Can they just wind back to when it wasn’t broken? Mine had previously worked before that date too.

this was happening to me all weekend all of a sudden after i had unplugged and relocated my router.  my roam just wasnt playing music via spotify or tunein, nor would it pause or stop any current music playing out of the blue.  google assistant worked fine, so it was just alexa.

the disabling then reenabling of the sonos skill in the alexa app seemed to fix it at the moment.   pretty awful bug imo.  

I've got exactly the same issue with my new Sonos roam. Alexa responds when I ask to play a Radio station from the BBC then silence. When I ask to play a song it says I have to use the Alexa app to discover the skill and enable. I can play music through the Sonos app but the Alexa voice assistant doesn't work at all. 

I’m still experiencing this issue. Has a solution been posted that I am not aware of? Thanks.  

Same problem here, when I ask to play news briefing it is just silence, I thought the update yesterday might of fixed this, but still the same. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

My workaround was removing all smart assistants from the Roam and just use my iphone and desktop PC. 

Can you play Spotify through the Sonos app? And I assume you’re using the same Spotify account in both Alexa and  Sonos.

Do you have any Amazon echo’s in your house?  If so do they work with Spotify?  Another option to test is to try that spotify voice command in the Alexa app and see how it responds.  I’m not allow that as I think the Alexa and Amazon music apps will only play Amazon music.  

I’m just trying to see if this is an Alexa problem or a Sonos problem.  I do think it’s Alexa though, based on the response you’re getting back.  Alexa is running validation and rejecting the command before it’s sent to Sonos.

Userlevel 2

I have 2 echo dots that are still working with spotify/ playing the news. The alexa app says I have to use a connected device to use spotify though, like you mentioned. 

Thanks for your insight- it’s strange that it’s just the roam that won’t play the news (my other sonos devices still will). The spotify issue is for all of the sonos.

Just posting to stay up to date on this.  Same issue with “News/Flash Briefing” on Roam not ever playing content, just the initial ‘announcement’ that “Here is your flash briefing”.  All other services via Alexa and Spotify seem to be working just fine.

Userlevel 2

Nope- still not fixed! 

Solved my problems eventually by disabling Sonos skill on alexa and then re-enabling.

Maybe that will work for you (but I wouldn’t bet on it - hold the cigar).

I’ve got lots of older sonos kit and I’m now struggling to set up the sonos 1 app to use it.

nothing is ever easy with Sonos!

1. Remove the S2 App & install S1 App on your mobile device (mobile must meet the Sonos Requirements).
  2. Create a new Sonos Household using an S1-only compatible Sonos device.
  3. Add the remaining required devices to the S1 HH. 
  4. Reinstall S2 App and choose to connect to the ‘existing’ system when prompted and select the join button on a device in your ‘existing’ S2 HH