Alexa Multi-room Music / Audio Groups

• 25 November 2017
  • 64 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Ok - I’m thinking of a possible work around to group my home theater Sonos speakers with the amazon echos throughout my house. To group them all to play music simultaneously. Basically plug the echo dot audio output into the TV RCA audio input. Then using the TV set to the input it will convert the audio and feed through to the sonos soundbar. Basically the sonos is just a Slave to the grouped echo dot at that point and should play audio in synch with the other echos through out the house. Has anyone tried this method ?
I wish this was supported too.

I have loved our Sonos 3 for many years - however due to being a little expensive I have never got round to going multi-room.

Then along comes Alexa/Echo- affordable and has spread though the house like wildfire.

Because of this - sadly our Sonos is now relegated to non use - and will likely be ebayed and replaced with another shiny new echo.
Userlevel 1
Please please please support this ........
Userlevel 1
Facebook exchange
Sonos told me that this is their decision and limitation. They did not want a different multi-room experience between their implementation and Amazon's.

Sorry, I don't believe any Sonos employee in the know would ever tell you that. They simply don't give out information like that.

Besides, it isn't possible with any 3rd party speakers at this time until Amazon releases their new SDK. So there is no decision for Sonos to make until then.
Userlevel 1
Sonos told me that this is their decision and limitation. They did not want a different multi-room experience between their implementation and Amazon's.
I just finished chatting with Amazon regarding mult-room music group. Unfortunately they don't support Sonos and their devices. Only their products have the capability to group. This is a bummer for most of us wanting to play music simultaneously throughout our home using multiple devices. Let's hope Amazon fixes this SOON.........
Userlevel 1
Well that's a deal breaker for me. Will be returning my Sonos One and sticking with my JBL Playlists and a Chromecast Audio for my Home Theater System. Very disappointed.
You can not group Sonos One with Echo devices as far as multiroom audio. Sonos One will only group with other Sonos units.

Well that's a big bummer. None of the reviews mentioned it. Likely a dealbreaker for me as well.
Grouping of 3rd party speakers is not supported by Alexa at this time. To play to a group of Sonos speakers, group using the Sonos app, then tell Alexa to play to any one of the rooms in the group.
I've just bought an echo dot and I'm struggling with Sonos hook-up as well. I've found that I can get Alexa to play on any one of my 3 Sonos devices ( 2 Play 1s and a soundbar) individually but I haven't yet found a way to group them in the Alexa app. But if I group them in the Sonos app and then ask Alexa to play any one of them - all 3 will play. She won't crank the volume though - I have to do that via the Sonos app. Still working on it.......................
Userlevel 1
You can not group Sonos One with Echo devices as far as multiroom audio. Sonos One will only group with other Sonos units.

If that's true, unfortunately that's a deal breaker for me. I was almost purchasing a Sonos One earlier today, to put in the kitchen and living room, and to connect an Echo Dot with a set of Logitech speakers in the bedroom. I knew I wouldn't be able to group the Sonos and the Echo in the Sonos app, but I thought I'd be able to do it in the Alexa app. Shame, really.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’m having the same issue.