Answered

sonos network still allowing guest access

• 16 June 2023
  • 4 replies

I have Sonos and it is on its own network yet guests are now accessing my system from the guest network. If they are on Wi-Fi they can access my Sonos system. This is new and something I can’t figure out how to fix. 

any help is appreciated. I have a netgear orbi system.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 16 June 2023, 16:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

It seems the ‘guest’ network on Orbi consumer products may not be fully isolated, possibly by design, more info here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/CAUTION-Orbi-s-Wifi-Guest-Network-does-not-really-isolate-guests/td-p/1221867

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If this is a concern, don’t share that wifi network password with your guests. Sonos doesn’t provide any security over whatever your network is configured for.

@Valvequeen,
Most ‘guest’ networks have an ‘isolation’ option in the router settings - in the case of my own router/mesh setup, I can give guests just internet access only and no access to any other device (wired or wireless) on the network, or I can give them access to individually chosen devices by MAC address  - so the fact your ‘guest’ WiFi provides access to all Sonos devices is very much down to your router, rather than a Sonos issue.

They are accessing sonos via the guest network. Sonos is not on the guest network.