Setting up Sonos with Eero WiFi system

Show first post

33 replies

I had all of the issues mentioned before - the initial setup of Eero and Sonos was terribly complicated, took many calls to support and then I had to work with Verizon to get the Bridge established. Finally all was working.

My current problem is the new Xbox just came out. It does not like the bridge network and will not connect wirelessly due to the security protocol. I contacted Eero and they said this issue IS due to the bridging (which they also said we lose some of their security due to the bridging).

My question is - has Sonos found a better way to connect to Eero or is bridging still the only way the two can co-exist?

Response for aph…. I see you’re a fellow Chicagoan :)

I have the same Sonos hell issues. The one thing that is not mentioned in this thread, which I believe is the key issue, is that Sonos hates 5ghz. On previous routers, I had the option of 5 or 2.4 but with Eero, its 5ghz only.

My Eero setup consists of a Eero Pro (router) and 3 Eero Routers (AP’s). The Pro is connected to a Xfinitity supported Netgear modem. I accidentally ordered 2 Eero Pro’s so thought about using 1 in Bridge mode, which appears to have helped others on this thread. Will this work?

Being a networking novice, hoping for some guidance on sequence.

Current Config  - ISP -- > Modem → Eero Pro Router → Switch

Once I configure the Eero Pro in Bridge mode, where does it go in the sequence?

Thanks in advance -

Not sure if this is the best place to post this. Hopefully will save some headaches…

I spent 3+ hours rebooting, resetting, reading documentation and forums, and on the phone with Sonos support without success. My Sonos Play One speakers all of a sudden stopped working with my Eero Pro Mesh network. I hadn’t used the speakers for a couple of weeks and the usual reboot methods that I occasionally use were failing.

The issue - In the Eero App (iOs) > Advanced settings > IPv6 > (toggled on). When this was toggled on, the Sonos would not connect to the network. Toggled off (IPv4) everything worked perfectly. I reported this to Sonos support. Hopefully a firmware update will address this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

That all makes perfect sense from a networking point of view: “bridge” mode is almost certainly what is making it work, as that makes all the devices on your network properly visible and discoverable within one single broadcast domain.

Without that, you’ve got many small subnets being routed (or, at the least, proxy-arp’d) across your mesh. I’m really surprised they make that the default, tbh. So much will fail to discover other network devices, and which devices connect to which network will not be deterministic.

I had several weeks of hell as well when I swapped out my Orbi mesh system. After constantly have to re-find units (we have 7 in 4 rooms) , one time a hard reset and start from scratch.

I started out with support and it was pretty clear they would be more wasting my time than anything, and found a few threads here that pointed to the cause.

Turns out the problem was simple, for some reason each Eero issues its own DHCP, so none of the suggestions are going to fix it. It takes <5 minutes to put the Eero into bridge mode and everything goes away. And you can if wish, use the ethernet ports on the Eero pro, which are helpful

Given how many people have complained about this on Amazon and here, its about time SONOS and Eero got their act together. Eero was a least responsive and competent, Sonos didnt even appear to be reading the email trail (asked 2x for diagnostics which has sent 2x) from person to person. Don’t assume they are networking savvy...

I’m having the same problem with Eero and Sonos, zones disappearing in Sonos but still show up in the Eero app. I have the Eero Pro, so three Eero devices that are all same, I just use one as a router. Am I still able to bridge my Eero? What is the downside of bridging the Eero system?

I was having same problem with EERO’s system; my iOS controller for SONOS was being intermittent.  Putting the EERO into bridge mode seems to have solved the problem.  Very wierd because the SONOS was “connected” via wifi only and I could determine it was up and stable on the mesh network but the iOS controller did not work.  It seems to NOW work in the BRIDGE mode on EERO’s.  Simple fix via settings and reboot.

Userlevel 1

I had several weeks of hell as well when I swapped out my Orbi mesh system. After constantly have to re-find units (we have 7 in 4 rooms) , one time a hard reset and start from scratch.

I started out with support and it was pretty clear they would be more wasting my time than anything, and found a few threads here that pointed to the cause.

Turns out the problem was simple, for some reason each Eero issues its own DHCP, so none of the suggestions are going to fix it. It takes <5 minutes to put the Eero into bridge mode and everything goes away. And you can if wish, use the ethernet ports on the Eero pro, which are helpful

Given how many people have complained about this on Amazon and here, its about time SONOS and Eero got their act together. Eero was a least responsive and competent, Sonos didnt even appear to be reading the email trail (asked 2x for diagnostics which has sent 2x) from person to person. Don’t assume they are networking savvy...

Apart from the 'bridge mode' aspect, the key point is that you wired at least one Sonos device, putting the system into SonosNet mode.

You say some Sonos devices are still connected to the eero WiFi. I hope not, since this could lead to instability. They should be connecting to SonosNet. Check in About My Sonos System. WM:0 means SonosNet (or wired).

You'd also be advised to remove any eero WiFi credentials from the Sonos system. This will prevent devices from reverting to a WiFi connection.