Wiim streamer for Airplay 2 for home stereo + Sonos speakers for whole-house audio

• 12 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I am a simple noob and kind of slow with all things electronics. Here's my simple question: 

I'm considering an $85 Wiim Mini or a $140 Wiim Pro streamer to attach to my existing home stereo setup so that it shows in AirPlay on iOS along with my Sonos speakers when I want to stream music or podcasts throughout the house. 

I have a pair of Sonos Ones and a Sonos Sub Mini, and I use AirPlay 2 (not the Sonos app) to stream music and podcasts. *All I want to do is add my home stereo setup to AirPlay so that I can have synced whole-house audio.* Will a Wiim Mini (or the Pro) get me there? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Full disclosure: I’m not a Wiim user and I almost never use AirPlay 2.

My experience is that AirPlay 2 streams to a single device. If Wiim can stream to multiple devices using AirPlay 2 you have a small chance at streaming to your stereo and SONOS. With respect to SONOS, you could send AirPlay 2 to a SONOS AirPlay 2 capable unit, then use the SONOS Group capability to play on multiple SONOS units. Note that there will be a 75ms latency with the SONOS units. It’s likely that there will be a different latency with the receiver. The latency will be a big bother if you can simultaneously hear output from multiple devices. The latency will not be an issue if the devices are in distant rooms.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Airplay2 can sync multiple speakers. You can adjust the latency on the Wiim. 

https://faq-mini.wiimhome.com/support/solutions/articles/72000527443-is-there-latency-adjustment-via-airplay-2-so-i-can-sync-with-homepod-or-sonos-speakers-

Badge

As confirmation for some of the earlier comments…

I just added a Wiim Pro in my home (needed to drive headphones for a drum practice setup, but a Sonos Port for $450 just seemed too steep). I’m able to use AirPlay 2 to stream to the Wiim, and can simultaneously stream to a Sonos speakers that support AirPlay 2. (From there I can distribute the stream out to any of the Sonos speakers I want using the Sonos app. I also don’t notice any latency problems/differences.)

For my case, it’s a great add for $150 (current price of the Wiim Pro). Wiim also has a “mini” version for less (currently ~$80) that would likely work just as well for my case, but I sprung for the Pro for future flexibility (e.g., more I/O options). Either way, a bargain compared to the price of a Sonos Port.

To be fair, it’s a bit clunkier to use both AirPlay 2 (via iOS) *and* the Sonos app when distributing to both the headphones and multiple Sonos speakers. But for me that’s worth the $ savings. Sonos might want to reconsider the cost of the Port. I don’t mind paying for value, but the Port seems too expensive for what it does (and given the alternatives).

To be fair, it’s a bit clunkier to use both AirPlay 2 (via iOS) *and* the Sonos app when distributing to both the headphones and multiple Sonos speakers. But for me that’s worth the $ savings. Sonos might want to reconsider the cost of the Port. I don’t mind paying for value, but the Port seems too expensive for what it does (and given the alternatives).

I think part of the issue is that few consumers actually use a Port for all that does.  They tend to have one or two needs, and thus the Port appears to be overkill.  In your case for example, you’d only be using it to effectively enable airplay 2 on your sound system.  You aren’t using it to getting stream sources directly, get access to a local storage drive, having your system play in sync with the Sonos system (you kind of are, but airplay is doing the work here), having your receiver send audio to the rest of your Sonos system, and allow control of your receiver via the Sonos app in some case.  Probably other features I’m missing.  

It used to be that the Port was the cheapest way of inputing aux audio into Sonos.  The Five and Amp were both more expensive, as were the Arc and Beam if you wanted to use their TV inputs.  Roam changed that with the ability to share it’s bluetooth connection.  And the Era products getting bluetooth and aux input really changed things.  Still, Port is the only way to fully incorporate 3rd party amps into a Sonos system.  

Still in probably appeals more to a whole home project put in by pros rather than as a one-off solution by a home owner.

I’m able to use AirPlay 2 to stream to the Wiim, and can simultaneously stream to a Sonos speakers that support AirPlay 2. (From there I can distribute the stream out to any of the Sonos speakers I want using the Sonos app. I also don’t notice any latency problems/differences.)

Does this work if the source is a Bluetooth device (e.g. Android) instead of an Airplay 2 device? As explained in the support pages of Wiim it is possible to group a Wiim with other Airplay 2 devices (e.g. Sonos speakers). Does this mean that the source can be something else (AUX in, Bluetooth, etc) to stream to the group?

I’m able to use AirPlay 2 to stream to the Wiim, and can simultaneously stream to a Sonos speakers that support AirPlay 2. (From there I can distribute the stream out to any of the Sonos speakers I want using the Sonos app. I also don’t notice any latency problems/differences.)

Does this work if the source is a Bluetooth device (e.g. Android) instead of an Airplay 2 device? As explained in the support pages of Wiim it is possible to group a Wiim with other Airplay 2 devices (e.g. Sonos speakers). Does this mean that the source can be something else (AUX in, Bluetooth, etc) to stream to the group?

That sounds like a question which ought to be posted over at the WiiM forum