What about a redesigned PCoIP protocol?

• 3 September 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Do a reprograming Sonos’s PCoIP protocol could improve the sonos experience?

Better traffic control will induce packetloss but it's less important than higher latency and audio lags.

Packet loss within a optimized PCoIP session should target less than 0.1%.

Users typically notice performance degradation if the session packet loss is greater than 0.1%, although higher loss may be tolerated.

What about to increase the tolerance value of the PCoIP protocol and eliminate the bootleneck which will fix most customer lag complaints? Any thought?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

PCoIP is a display protocol for thin clients. What does this have to do with Sonos? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

There is a protocol at sonos for this, maybe the term is not exact but the method remains the same.

I literally haven’t a clue what you’re going on about. Are you somehow trying to draw parallels with Sonos’ LAN audio distribution protocols? 

Yet another attempt to blame Sonos for what amounts to a lousy network.  @Thewizard2000, Sonos works for the vast majority of its millions of owners, some out of the box, others after a few tweaks.  Have you implemented all the suggestions given in your other thread, or are you going to simply blame Sonos and give wild guesses as to why that is so?  

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@jgatie

It's sad how a simple question for a possible improvement is automatically perceived as a blame.

Regarding my problem, the last suggestion was proposed by Ken_Griffiths and consists in creating an access point with a new router. However, for the reasons explained in the topic that was created, this implies for various reasons listed that I have to get a new router. Also it requires some technical knowledge which is not always easy compared to more advanced people like you.

However @ratty told me that he was not in agreement with the proposal. I'm still going to try the experiment.

Sonos works for the vast majority of its millions of owners, some out of the box

Certainly, it would be interesting to create a survey to find out how many connected devices on average most people have.

I'll go first.  12 in use.  In a 1300 sq ft condo surrounded by at least 20 other WiFi networks, 17 of which register 3 bars or more.  As rock solid as can be. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I guess that you are connected in access point mode too.

I’ve already said that with router mode or access point mode it’s the same wireless. The difference is whether or not the primary node contains an active router component.  

And as you yourself reported, Sonos tier 2 tech support said the wireless was evidently deficient. 

I guess that you are connected in access point mode too.

Nope, no access points.  One central router, with an Ethernet connection to an Arc.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I’ve already said that with router mode or access point mode it’s the same wireless. The difference is whether or not the primary node contains an active router component.  

I agree as long as the router exclusively manages sonos that's good. Which I'm sure is the case for @jgatie.

And as you yourself reported, Sonos tier 2 tech support said the wireless was evidently deficient. 

Personally, I believe this it's still a guess since the problem has not been found.