T-Mobile 5G Home Internet Issue Resolution

• 11 December 2023
  • 8 replies

I followed the steps in this article and my Sonos system is now fully functional on a T-Mobile 5G Home Internet Wi-Fi network.  I am running 4 One’s, 2 Five’s, 1 Amp, 1 Move and 1 Playbar. 

I believe the key was shutting all components off and then powering them up in RESET mode.  This created a clean slate for connecting to the T-Mobile 5G Gateway.

I just completed this today (Dec 10 2023) and will report back on stability over the next couple weeks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Hi.  Thanks for posting this.  But are you saying that you factory reset all your Sonos devices in order to achieve this?  If so then this is very unlikely to have been necessary or relevant, and could have some negative consequences for some users (e.g. losing Sonos playlists).

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @richardakers, welcome to the Sonos Community!

While this type of network doesn’t meet our system requirements, I’m glad to hear you’ve been able to get it working for you.

If you have any further findings to share, feel free to add them here!

As far as I can see that 5G gateway has a couple of Ethernet ports. Temporarily wiring a single Sonos device should have enabled the WiFi details to be quickly changed without a full reset. A possible exception is the Move, but a reset/re-add solely on that unit would not have sacrificed any data.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have been using 5g broadband for 2 years now and never had any issues streaming to my Sonos system both on sonosnet and on WiFi 

only issue I have had is SVC stopped working a few months ago so I removed it and tried to reinstall it tna, I just reinstalled Alexa which is more useful for me for smart home control lights etc

my music service isn’t supported by voice so no biggie.

all in all my 5g broadband has been the best internet service I have had in my property in the 20 years I have lived here, I hope your experience matches mine 😊

I agree that the reset may not be required but I had tried several times to connect Sonos to the T-Mobile network without reset with no success.  So, I decided to install as if I had just purchased all new components and that worked.  

Did you try wiring a Sonos device to an Ethernet port, and waiting a few minutes for the system to switch to SonosNet/wired mode?

Yes, I connected a Five that way first and the rest connected wirelessly.  

Hmm. I’d have thought you might have been able to get at the System/Network settings then.