Answered

STP being blocked by Unmanaged switches

• 13 September 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hi everyone. I have had ongoing issues with my Sonos devices. Every month or so, my LAN ports are all taken out for a few minutes before fixing themselves. I have been using this great community and found it could have been a broadcast storm causing the issues. I have turned off wifi on one of my players and so far so good. I'll have to wait and see if it works in the long term, but I feel confident.

Part of the issue, I think, is I have had two switches between two players. They are unmanaged very simple D-Link GO-SW-5G switches. I checked with D-Link who have told me they would block STP BDPU packets. I then looked at TP-Link SG105 switches and TP-Link told me they would also block STP BDPU packets. I did read that most switches would pass through these packets. So if looking for a switch that would pass all packets through, what should I look for? Or any models you could recommend?

Thank you in advance.
icon

Best answer by ratty 13 September 2019, 15:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge
For anyone who might read this. I made a mistake with the TP-Link advice, they said the TP-Link SG105 would not block BDPU packets. D-Link said their switch would though.
Badge
Thank you ratty. This makes sense. I'll look at Netgear.
Switches that have a known problem are identified here. It sounds like your TP-Link devices should be added to the list.

Most dumb switches should be fine. I'd simply go for Netgear, obviously avoiding the few older models listed in the referenced article.