Static IP question

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Badge

Thanks all. I’ll try going outside of the pool and report back. After reassigning I assume I have to reboot router and all devices?

Badge +20

Some routers insist that IP reservations are outside the DHCP pool, some that they’re inside the pool, and some don’t care.

THIS  ^^^^^ very confusing for users, especially as the reservations outside the pool must be issued by DHCP for the client or get its IP if it does not support a static IP.

Some routers insist that IP reservations are outside the DHCP pool, some that they’re inside the pool, and some don’t care.

Badge +20

The confusion arises due to mixed use of terminology within the routers interface.

Fixed or static IP is configured at the client which you cannot do on Sonos equipment as it only uses DHCP. You can however reserve an IP within the DHCP pool on the router which makes Sonos devices use the same IP. Some routers let you reserve outside the DHCP scope.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

You are correct your dhcp range is 100 to 200 and yes you have assigned your speakers to be within the dhcp range. In effect you have asked the router to do contradictory  things - when a device connects please give it a number in this range, when this specific device connects give it this number but what to do if another device has already got that number.

So move your sonos kit to be outside the dhcp  range, maybe start at 090 and work downwards.

The static assignment is to avoid problems like having duplicate ipaddresses on your network. It shouldn't  happen but there are a number of scenarios where routers lose track and end up assigning duplicate addresses. Devices  rebooting  is one such scenario which is why there are a number of posts here complaining that sonos stopped working after an upgrade when it is the router at fault.