SonosNet is a Mystery

Show first post

53 replies

20 vs 40? Think of a string of adjacent conference rooms in an office. Within each room there is parliamentary procedure such that only one person speaks at a time. Then the “smart guy” in an adjacent room decides that he will amplify his audio, which then breaks through to the adjacent rooms -- decreasing intelligibility. Of course the adjacent rooms could do the same, but because there is no cross room parliamentary procedure, intelligibility across the area tanks. Another way of looking at this is that a window is open in your conference room and there is a construction site next door.

Use 20Mhz on 2.4GHz unless you are so isolated that you need only channels 1 and 11.

Badge +2

I hope I’m gobbing up all the spectrum.  Why do you think I have 4 Orbi AC3000s over 1200 SF?  Ok I moved Sonos down to channel 1.

Nope, every node shows up in the top row in addition to undefined columns.  Mac addresses are unique.  I have 29 columns.  But yeah, some people have bigger tables.  I don’t have those Mac addresses in my spreadsheet.  I’ll dig a bit more to see what they might be.

Badge +2

I don’t have the Orbi’s for the square footage.  I have them so higher bandwidth devices are offloaded off the slow 2.4 and 5GHz bands.  They’re handled by the 1.8gbps wireless backhaul.  So my two primary networks are barely used and available with minimal traffic.  These other devices are connecting to local equipment, not hitting the internet.  So I need more than the paltry 600mbps or whatever standard WiFi 5 at 5GHz can do.  I plug every possible device I can into Orbi’s Ethernet, plus lots of devices have older WiFi chips.  Those are disabled everywhere.  Orbi handles the traffic, exclusively Orbi.  With its massive antennas and point to point lightning fast connection.  I don’t want to have to buy a new security camera just because its wifi is ancient.

Plus, I just get rock solid functionality out of these devices when Orbi takes over.  Yeah your little ol’ iPhone is fine, it should use the main networks, but established devices should be handled on the other network.  Having a third band that wipes the floor with the first two is very nice.  Yeah WiFi 6 bumps things up a bit but like 5% of my devices support it.  They all support 100 or gigabit ethernet.  And the backhaul pushes 1.8gbps -- half that in real world is approaching a gigabit in single duplex speed, that’s not far off from a 2 gbps dual duplex Ethernet cable.  That’s why it revolutionized wifi for my space.