Sonos Arc and projector

• 8 May 2020
  • 2 replies

With the new Sonos Arc, did Sonos missed an opportunity in not supplying an HDMI out? 

I am setting up a projector and will use a Sonos Arc, but there will be no way for me to use Dolby Atmos. The source I will be using is a Apple TV 4K and a Sky Q 2. Both support 4K and Dolby Atmos. The normal setup would be to connect both sources into a TV and then connect the HDMI eArc from the TV to the new Sonos Arc. But since I am using a projector (same if one would use and older TV), there is no HDMI with the Arc output on the projector. 

Many new sounds bars mitigate this issue by having a hdmi out on them. So you would plug your Apple TV or Sky Q direct to the Sonos Arc and then from the Sonos Arc to the projector. 

I understand that only enables you to connect one source at the time, but one could use a HDMI switch before the Sonos Arc to achieve this. For example the Philips Hue HDMI sync box could be great. 

But it looks like there is a miss opportunity here. I cannot see any HDMI box that can extract the full Dolby Atmos before going to the projector in order to benefit from the new features. 

Does anyone knows of a way to achieve what I like to do? 

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

My understanding is that for a projector user, the Sonos arc is next to useless. You should invest in something else

Unfortunately the above comment is mostly correct.

It's already been discussed in other threads that many projectors lack the hardware to do what the Arc needs them to do. ARC capable audio extractors cannot offer a solution. There was one person who has found a device that will re-embed an extracted stream into ARC which could make the Arc usable with a projector. So far it seems there is no similar device yet for eARC.