Separating Connect:AMP speakers and sub

• 13 July 2018
  • 1 reply

I suspect this isn't feasible, but I have a connect:amp with a pair of polk outdoor speakers being driven off of it. They sound great. I also just added a 12" 300w sub that I previously owned into the Sonos system via the sub output on the Connect:AMP.

Thing is, it seems like the connect is only able to be a single output device, and there's no way to group the sub output as it's own item (like as part of a home theater).

Ideally, I'd like the outdoor speakers to be their own "room" and the sub to be part of the "living room" which also has a pair of Play:1's and soon a Beam soundbar. I'm not seeing anything in the various controller apps indicating this is feasible.

Is my best bet to just buy a Connect and use that to drive the subwoofer (still cheaper than buying a sonos Sub when using my existent SUB)? If so, that's annoying.

Also, I read on another post that if you have a sub connected to the Connect:AMP it does not send anything

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The sub output on the Connect Amp is just split off the two main channels, there is no separate music input going to it.

If you buy a Connect to run your stand-alone sub woofer you may discover it has no sub output, that is available only on the Connect Amp. The third red connector on the Connect is a coax digital output, not a Sub. See the zoomed photo here:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/connect.html

Folks report problems here, not sure wich topic you are thinking of. Working properly the Connect Amp will provide a line level output to your external non-Sonos sub woofer.

Why not just buy a Sonos Sub and pair it with your other Sonos speakers and avoid all the problems?