Answered

Samsung TV eARC to AMP via HDMI cat6 extender or adapter

• 22 December 2023
  • 6 replies

New to SONOS. New construction home, with cat6 & speaker cables pre-run to a media closet.  I have 8 ceiling speakers hooked up to 2 AMPs (4 speakers per).  I need 2 Samsung TV’s sound to get 2 the AMPs, one TV to each AMP.  I have cat6 running from TV locations to the media closet where the AMPs are located, appx run is 50ft for one and 75ft for another.  Both Samsung TVs with eARC.  I need help with what extender/adapter to use for the HDMI/cat6 connection to the AMPs to get the TV sound to the AMPs to have the TV sound (mainly football games) play in ceiling speakers.

I tried this item, but could not get any signal:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WFLHTKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any help or direction is appreciated.

icon

Best answer by braebarton 30 December 2023, 16:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @bsbarton 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can’t advise any specific third-party products, but you should find the following threads of use:

I hope this helps.

Corry P, I had a login issue somehow so had to change my username..

Ive read these treads already and are very similar but not exact to what Im looking to do.  These 2 threads are 2 and 4 years old, respectively.  Are there current or updated components or adapters now that would simplify the connection?  I only need the audio signal to get the to the 2 AMPs from the 2 TV’s.

Additional question: if I had a RAY at each TV both connected via optical cable, can the 2 RAYS “talk” to the 2 AMPs independently, and play TV sound through the ceiling speakers hooked up to the AMPs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You should be able to Group the Ray and Amps. There will be a slight delay in the Amp’s sound as they are no longer directly connected to the TV.

Corry P, I had a login issue somehow so had to change my username..

Ive read these treads already and are very similar but not exact to what Im looking to do.  These 2 threads are 2 and 4 years old, respectively.  Are there current or updated components or adapters now that would simplify the connection?  I only need the audio signal to get the to the 2 AMPs from the 2 TV’s.

Additional question: if I had a RAY at each TV both connected via optical cable, can the 2 RAYS “talk” to the 2 AMPs independently, and play TV sound through the ceiling speakers hooked up to the AMPs?

That will work, but there are caveats. 

1. The sound from the Amps is going to lag behind the Rays.  This will cause an echo, and will not be in sync with the video on the TV screen.

2. The Amp volume will not be controllable with the TV remote. 

3. The Amps/Rays will not stay grouped through an update or a power outage. 

If the AMP driven speakers are in another room and you are not attempting to synchronize the AMP driven speakers with video, the 75ms delay is usually not significant.

This is resolved.  I went to a local Sonos dealer and spoke with one of their audio system designers.  He sold me 2 of these (link below) which was exactly what I needed.  The TV remotes even work for volume up or down, through the AMPs.. For anyone that needs audio from TVs back to AMPs via cat6, this is the solution.

Binary B-260-ARC:

https://www.snapav.com/shop/en/snapav/binary-audio-return-extender-for-hdmi-arc-and-spdif-b-260-arc-a