MOVE not visible on the app via a wifi extender

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Sorry to labour this but I’m trying to build a picture of what works and what doesn’t. So the only time you can reliably see the Move is when the iOS controller and Move are both connected to the router WiFi?

If the Move is on the PLE WiFi, you’re unable to see it from a controller on the router’s WiFi? 

How do the Macs connect to the network? (CR200s obviously talk direct to the Sonos units.)

By the way, the Network Matrix has no relevance here as the Move isn’t on SonosNet.

---

The background to all this is that the controller needs to have uninterrupted multicast/broadcast access to the players to be able to locate them when it starts. It uses SSDP. Some powerline devices may not pass such traffic, and some WiFi devices may not forward such packets between their different network segments (WiFi 2.4, WiFi 5, wired, powerline, etc). 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Correct, any iOS controller linked via the PLE can’t see the Move, regardless of where that device is connected.  Similarly, when the Move is on the PLE, the iOS controller cannot see it at all.  However, the Move is clearly visible at all times in the Network Matrix and looks normal.

Just to complete the picture, wherever the Move is located, both my CR200’s and MacOS controllers can see it and all works normally.  Presumably this is because the iOS devices use my router’s wifi to connect to Sonos, as distinct from my old Android phone, which used to connect direct to SonosNet.

Part of wanting to make this work on iOS is that the CR200’s are the only thing keeping me on the Sonos 1 Controller.  They are getting a bit long in the tooth and I will have to get used to living without them in due course.  But, right now they are the only devices that I can use to run Sonos  away from the router, where my desktops are located.  Buying an Android device just for that purpose is, of course, an option, but not a great solution.

Do you have any idea what elements of the PLE’s wifi signal might be missing and/or any others that do a better job?  The 2 PLE’s I use seem to work perfectly well for all our other wifi devices, even if they can be a bit spotty in terms of dropping out for no apparent reason.

I suspect the problem is with the WiFi put out by the PLE(s). Some such devices don’t correctly forward all types of network traffic.

As I understand it, from your original post a controller on the PLE can’t see the Move on the router. If the Move is on the PLE is it visible from anywhere at all? (BTW “offline” in the controller means it’s not seen.)

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Ratty,

I may have misled you.  Given the time it sometimes takes for Sonos to respond to network changes, when I moved the Move to run off the wifi extender, the portable controllers running off the same extender eventually reported it as being Offline.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Ratty, thanks for responding.

Powerlines are all TP-Link, the wifi’s are a PA4220 and a PA281. The non-wifi extenders are all PA4010’s.

If I understand your question correctly, when the Move and controller are both connected to the same extender, I see all rooms but not the Move.  This the same as when the Move is in its normal position next to the router and the controller is connected to the extender’s wifi.

What powerline adapter make/model?

If your controlling device is also attached to the extender’s WiFi at the same time as the Move, which rooms do you see in the Sonos controller?