linking my Sonos system to traditional cd player

Hi, I have a Sonos system (amp &  a pair of 5) and I would like to use them with my old cd player. What do I need?

Tanks for your advice!

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I had a pair of Fives plus an oldish turntable. I only had to buy a fairly cheap pre-amp to plug into the turntable for it to play through the Fives. Of course if the turntable already has a built in pre-amp you won’t need an external one.

Not sure you really need to use your amp, but I could be wrong.

A CD player has no need of a preamp (and would sound horrible with a phono one) as its output is already at line level.

Just wire the CDP’s outputs to the Line-In on the Amp or a Play:5. This would typically require an RCA-RCA cable or an RCA-3.5mm cable.

Thanks! I confess to be a total novice, who is able to stream through the fives but totally ignorant on the rest. I’ll try to connect again but  I think the turntable has a pre-amp...but I tore the speakers out and connect the Sonos amp instead, but I think I’m very wrong as no sound is coming out..

I'm confused. Is there a CD player or a turntable? Or both?

Your profile lists Play:5/gen2 and Sub, not an Amp. You tore what speakers out? Passive ones wired to the Amp, or the Play:5s?

Some detail of your setup would be handy.

A Line-In connection has to be selected (or autoselected via the Autoplay setting) before it will play anywhere.

Hi Ratty, and sorry for the confusion. Here is what I have in my Sonos system:

Sonos amp + two Sonos 5 ( they work, I managed to install the Sonos system and to steam from my phone) but I also have an old CD /cassettes player, which I would love to use with the Sonos system.

That is all (I tore out the old speakers, they are bad quality & in my basement now). Attaching some pics for clarity, also to show how I plugged the Sonos amp to CD player.

Any suggestion is more than welcome, better in plain English to a total novice :)

thanks a million!

It looks like you connected the AUX input of the Kenwood to the input of the Sonos. You’d need to find an output on the back of the Kenwood. I doubt you’ll find one (apart from the speaker terminals) on such an old combo box. One possibility in that case would be use the headphone outlet instead, but the quality is likely to be poor.

What’s the yellow connection going to? It’s plugged into the Amp’s subwoofer output port.

BTW why do you have a Sonos Amp anyway? It’s not driving any speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Looks like a KENWOOD MICRO HI-FI COMPONENT SYSTEM RDX-M33.  Manual confirms no Line out :(

I thought the Sonos amp would do the work...😫

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I still buy all my music on CD, but rip them (using a PC or Laptop) straight away to store on a cheap NAS that is connected as a music source to my Sonos system.  

Have you considered this, (I use Exact Audio Payer) to high rate flac.  Takes about 10 mins per CD.  I did mine over a period of weeks processing 10 or more a day.

That way you could sell or return the Amp and get a couple of Sonos speakers.

Thank you for  all the answers, I would consider bockesjv suggestion, and return my amp, I’m still on time for this…Perhaps will buy a jack- Bluetooth receiver and see what it gives in terms of quality.