Question

double DAC conversion while using 'analog in' and 'analog out' in Connect

• 12 October 2016
  • 30 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Thank you for all answers!

I plan to have either Technics SL-C700 or Exposure 2010S2.

But even if Sonos DAC is as good as these inside CD players, I think, if you do tripple conversion (bits to analog, analog to bits, bits to analog) it has to interfere with the quality of sound.

Correct me please if I am wrong.
If you're set on playing CDs you don't want to loop through a CONNECT to do so, adding an unnecessary ADC/DAC.

But what I don't get is why, in this day and age, anyone would go buy an expensive CD player. Rip your CDs to disk using a secure ripper instead. It will recover data from the CD more accurately than the best CD player, since it can do so in non-real-time with multiple passes and online checksum verification. Then simply stream the files through a CONNECT, via digital out to a top notch DAC if you wish.

Sonos would index your entire collection*, providing all the benefits of metadata search, browse and instant play. Drop the quaint ritual of shoving a physical CD into a player. I stopped all that 9 years ago. The CDs are now just wall decoration.

*There's a hard limit of 65000 tracks, less if metadata or filenames are particularly long. For most this isn't an issue. An alternative without such limits is to use an external server such as Plex.
well,
some people have habits.
some people have kids. :)

taking me into consideration:

I hate touchscreen phones, my kids always take tablets away - it is much easier for me to play CD than look for a tablet. And then you have to look for a charger (if you have kids you know that even if you have 10 tablets, all of them are discharged), then try to start it, then unlock it (kids usually change password or pattern on them), then try to connect your NAS but there is usually some problem with the library, then you have to go through the library of thousand of names, titles to find what you like at the moment, then you find out that sonos needs to be updated, etc, etc....

I can give you more examples if you want 🙂 but I am fed up with all this /$#!t/ taking sometimes at least 15 minutes of my life. I would prefer to grab a CD, open non-linux CD player, which reacts immidiately when I press 'open' button, and just play 🙂.

I think you will understand this after forties, because then you will try to save and enjoy every minute of your life :)

p
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't think Sonos equipment falls in your category of things you would enjoy. Although it works fairly flawlessly at what it does.
I moved to Sonos in my early fifties in 2011 with no problems. It helps that the kids have left a while ago, though a feisty little granddaughter is often at home. She is very IDevice literate, and even understands charging and the effects of the lack thereof. But I have been able to restrict her interface to Sonos to the play/pause button on just one play 1 unit.
To the OP - I very much doubt that any quality loss from the extra conversion can be audibly heard. I haven't understood why you want the Connect though.