Question

Bonding diff types of speakers?

• 31 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi, checking if it still isn’t possible to bind speakers that aren’t L/R pairs. Saw several discussions from years ago but thought that surely by now the system can manage it? 

My lounge has a beam, sub, and 2 Sonos ones that function as one. I want to add a play 1 in a different part of the same area to this ‘room’. 

I know I can group them and set the tv not to ungroup automatically, but would prefer them to always be grouped and to share volume control, which is the most important thing. 

Sonos, if we can’t do this now, please develop it… thanks! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Dj_Lo.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand you wanted to bond more Sonos devices to your current set up. Let me help you out with that.

Currently, the Sonos system supports up to 5.1.2 Home theater set up using the Sonos Arc or 5.1 home theater set up using the Sonos Beam, Playbase, or the Playbar and a 4.1 home theater set up using the Sonos Amp. Sonos does not currently support anything beyond that set up which includes the 7.1 surround sound setup. In your situation, if you wanted to add a Play 1 to the setup, you may use the group and ungroup feature on the Sonos app. However, based on other members of the community’s feedback, it has a delay when watching TV. On the other hand, should have no delay when listening to music using the Sonos App. To add, I can send this to our engineering team as a feature request to be part of the request for the 7.1 Sonos support surround set up. but this setup requires 2 more speakers and not 1. I would suggest subscribing to this thread and our announcement topic for any feature release, feature updates, and bug fixes.

if you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic. We are always here to help.

thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

As @Paul A says, there will be a delay of about 70msec for sound to the Play:1 which you may find very distracting. But there is a single volume control for the group, so that requirement at least is met!

Thanks guys! Paul, if you can pass on my request I’d really appreciate it. Might help not to think of it as a TV issue at all, as would be great for people to be able to bind any speakers to each other based on their room’s needs, just happens that I’d be adding to my lounge group. Would really like to be able to keep these speakers grouped to have a shared volume control. 

The few times I’ve added my kitchen play 3 and this dining room play 1 to the tv group, haven’t had any speech delay.. sounds pretty great, actually! 

—Laura 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Dj_Lo.

Thanks for your immediate response and feedback.

Yes, I’ll be more than happy to do so, I will be sending this feature request to our engineering team. Please subscribe to this thread and our announcement topic for any feature release, feature updates, and bug fixes.

if you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic. We are always here to help.

thanks,

Thanks; but i don’t see where to subscribe for either (on my phone). 

Have no delay with the play 1 & the beam group now.