Answered

YouTube music does not see Move as Chromecast device

• 6 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Trying to figure out why YouTube music doesn't see Move as a Chromecast device. Google Play Music saw the Move just fine but now Google Play music has be sunsetted and is no more.

I'm curious if this is a YouTube music issue or a sonos issue or my issue?

Anyone else use the native YouTube music app on latest Android and have similar issue? I have YouTube music linked to the sonos app but I'd rather use the native app to cast.

icon

Best answer by John B 6 December 2020, 22:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi. Sonos doesn't do Chromecast, and never has. Casting from GPM was, I believe,  a custom integration.

Thank you for the reply. 

As a long time Sonos user, what is your estimate on how often they make improvements or changes to their app? Regularly or infrequent?

I'm an Android user, so I'm more curious about that platform over iOS.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

This is such a huge gap. The ability to cast from YouTubeMusic to Sonos is critical because the alternative of working with your music library within the Sonos app is terrible.

You might want to mention it to the folks at Google, who operate YouTube Music, and would have the ability to integrate the API Sonos has already written into the YouTube Music client.

Given the extraordinarily poor implementation of the Sonos API on the existing YouTube Music servers that Google engineers have done, there would be lots of room for them to improve, since it’s the same Sonos API in use by the other 60 plus (or more?) streaming companies. Which seems to work for those companies. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thank you for the reply. 

As a long time Sonos user, what is your estimate on how often they make improvements or changes to their app? Regularly or infrequent?

I'm an Android user, so I'm more curious about that platform over iOS.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Google has not provided a direct cast functionality in YouTube music, like it had in Google Play Music and like you can find in the Spotify app. At least not yet. This is true for IOS and Android versions of YTM app, i believe.

But nevertheless, Sonos needs to stop the discrimination of Android users, in favor of IOS users. It is very reprehensible that there has been functionality like Airplay to Sonos available for IOS users for years now, while Sonos has not taken advantage of the possibility of adding Google cast functionality (available through Android) to the Sonos system, even though that option has been available to them for as long as Airplay was available through IOS.

Basically IOS users can cast anything (audio) from any app or file on their device, using the OS interface, to any airplay compatible Sonos speaker and from there to any room. Meanwhile, Android users only have the options that are available through the interface of the Sonos App or the few apps that support direct cast, like Spotify.

Sonos, being an open platform should rather prioritize the open operating system (Android), than the walled off IOS.