Will Sonos introduce a Connect product with Airplay introduced or will there be a software update?


  • Contributor I
  • 1 reply
New Connect product with Airplay introduced or will there be a software update?

6 replies

I want to buy a sonos Connect but it does not support Airplay - is sonos fixing / addressing this?
It is a hardware issue. There is no software update that can achieve this. Nobody can say what Sonos will do but I personally would think an Airplay 2 compatible Connect would be a long way down the development list, if on it at all.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
John B wrote:

It is a hardware issue. There is no software update that can achieve this. Nobody can say what Sonos will do but I personally would think an Airplay 2 compatible Connect would be a long way down the development list, if on it at all.



John that is very interesting indeed. Can you share a it more on why you thing that a Connect refresh might not be in the development path at all? I guess there is a possibility that sonos is moving away from that area?

rhjk, I can also confirm that the sonos connect cannot (unfortunately) become airplay compatible. As John B also mentioned, airplay compatibility requires additional internal hardware that the old sonos connect does not have. There is no way for it to be come airplay 2 compatible. You can always group it with a newer sonos unit that is airplay 2 compatible and then it will work (kind of).

Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yiannis74 wrote:


John that is very interesting indeed. Can you share a it more on why you thing that a Connect refresh might not be in the development path at all? I guess there is a possibility that sonos is moving away from that area?



It's a logical assumption. There is a relatively small volume of Sonos users that are interested in airplay. It's safe to assume 50% are android users, and of the iOS users, not all would be interested in airplay 2. For those that are, there are other options available.

- As you suggested, buy a Sonos One and group it with the Connect. This would be cheaper than buying a brand new Connect, assuming the Connect 2.0 is the same price.
- Since the Connect is presumably paired with an amp or receiver, the consumer has the option of getting a receiver that is airplay enabled.
- Depending on how the Connect + Amp/Receiver is used, the consumer has the option of upgrading to a Sonos Amp.

So it's not hard to conclude that Sonos isn't going to come out with a Connect 2.0 where the only change is airplay 2.

That said, I would not be surprised if a new Connect came out in the next year or so. It would need a significant upgrade in features though.

- airplay 2
- new black and white color schemes to match current products
- new 'hard buttons' to match current products
- new form factor that is better for rack mounting, similar to the Sonos Amp
- perhaps..an HDMI-ARC connection? Not sure if this makes sense considering it's only got a RCA stereo output. Maybe it does if it can pass HDMI out as well.
- Probably would need some additional feature to really tempt current Connect owners to upgrade.
I agree entirely with Danny's excellent analysis. I think the new product, if it were to be produced, would have to be virtually unrecognizable as a Connect.
Badge +1
melvimbe wrote:

That said, I would not be surprised if a new Connect came out in the next year or so. It would need a significant upgrade in features though.

- airplay 2
- new black and white color schemes to match current products
- new 'hard buttons' to match current products
- new form factor that is better for rack mounting, similar to the Sonos Amp
- perhaps..an HDMI-ARC connection? Not sure if this makes sense considering it's only got a RCA stereo output. Maybe it does if it can pass HDMI out as well.
- Probably would need some additional feature to really tempt current Connect owners to upgrade.


I think the product that would solve most of the issues people have with Sonos in terms of I/O would be some kind of "Sonos reciever". Put simply, two HDMI ports, RCA Stereo input and a pair of Ethernet jacks. That's it. This is the product I'd want to see them release

RCA IN:
Basic stereo line-in. Behaves exactly as it does for every Sonos device's line-in

HDMI IN
Behaves basically the same as the RCA line-in but as a digital audio input. Supports all of the digital audio standards you'd expect including Dolby Atmos and 7.1 audio sources (i'll get to that in a bit). It also passes through the video signal to the HDMI out. For this to make any sense it'd also have to be HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 2.1 as HDMI is not just for Audio. You'd also have the ability to push the audio back to the device connected via HDMI ARC (I'll get to this later)

HDMI OUT
Basically behaves like the HDMI port on the Beam and new AMP. The only difference being that it passes through the video signal from HDMI IN.

Two ways this would be used. If you have an existing receiver it sits between your receiver and your TV and essentially turns your existing sound system into a Sonos compatible one. Your receiver itself and TV function exactly as they did before it just now shows up on the Sonos app as if it was a Beam/Playbar/Playbase/AMP.

The second way you'd set it up is with a combination of Sonos speakers. At it's most basic a couple of Play 1s for a stereo pair. But you could also push it upto 7.1 with a Sub, Beam and 4x Play 1s. Or maybe even further with more speakers made more palatable by adding a cheaper version of the Play 1 specifically for a Dolby Atmos like setup.

/my 2c

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings