What’s your Play:5 experience

• 27 January 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I’m looking for someone with experience listening to music through a SONOS 5.1 system using PLAY:5’s.

The 5.1 system with PLAY:1’s turned all the way up playing tunes sounds awesome, I want to know in what ways the PLAY:5’s would improve the 5.1 music listening experience.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
I’m looking for someone with experience listening to music through a SONOS 5.1 system using PLAY:5’s. The 5.1 system with PLAY:1’s turned all the way up playing tunes sounds awesome, I want to know in what ways the PLAY:5’s would improve the 5.1 music listening experience.

Reading the specs on a Play 5 vs Play:1 or Sonos One at Shop Sonos should answer that question for you without having advice from anyone or even listening to them. However, to your question I own Play 5's as (stereo pair) and Sonos One's as stereo pair in two other rooms. The difference is night and day (i.e. Play 5's trump the Sonos One's).

If you are thinking of using Play 5's as surrounds you'll probably asking for overkill but that's a personal choice. That said if you were to make the switch to Play 5's as surrounds when placed in Full Speaker mode for music they would blow the Play 1 's out of the water.

However, (deep pockets :8) if you're going to spend $1,000 USD_I'd just make the Play 5's dedicated music speakers in stereo pair. That way you don't have to go into the Sonos app to convert them to full speakers for music and back again for surrounds.

Additionally, you'll probably notice an improved sound stage with the Play 5's versus that of the Playbar or Playbase when listening to music. Cheers!

PS
My Sonos HT consists of: Play Bar / Sub / Play 3's for surrounds
My Play 5's in stereo pair for music also include a Sub
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I’m looking for someone with experience listening to music through a SONOS 5.1 system using PLAY:5’s. The 5.1 system with PLAY:1’s turned all the way up playing tunes sounds awesome, I want to know in what ways the PLAY:5’s would improve the 5.1 music listening experience.

However, (deep pockets :8) if you're going to spend $1,000 USD_I'd just make the Play 5's dedicated music speakers in stereo pair. That way you don't have to go into the Sonos app to convert them to full speakers for music and back again for surround’s.

We can now set the surround volume for music and TV listening in the app and the app automatically does the switching.

5.1 music listening is the best SONOS has to offer imo. Is there anyone using a 5.1 setup with PLAY:5 for music, I’d love to hear your testimony.