Waterproof wireless outdoor speakers that connect to your Sonos stable of speakers just like the rest of tthe Sonos speaker range!

• 13 April 2019
  • 3 replies

It would be great if Sonos could produce a stand alone, powerful waterproof outdoor speaker, which like the rest of their products, you just plug in and it connects via your wifi to your stable of Sonos speakers within your household. You just add them as another room i.e garden, or patio; or pool. Even though Sonos have recently partnered with a manufacturer of outdoor speakers, these units are not without their drawbacks. For them to link into your Sonos network they have to be connected (hardwired) either through a Sonos connect or a Sonos amp ( or another amp). Not only do you have to buy a connect or an amp if you don't have one, which I don't, it also can be expensive and or difficult hard connecting your outdoor speakers to these units. Adding the cost of installation, the cost of a connect or an amp, and the cost of speakers, make connecting an outside room, or rooms, to your Sonos stable of speakers prohibitively expensive. Not to mention the fact that it seems to run in the face of the beauty and simplicity of the Sonos almost wireless system. Thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Addressing the safety needs of supplying mains power outdoors to such a speaker would be expensive. I don't think that any such speaker exists from any other manufacturer because of this.
Either run speaker cables from many good/cheap passive outdoor speakers to a Connect Amp indoors for a permanent solution or use one of the many battery equipped bluetooth speakers that are now capable of very decent sound with life of over ten hours between charges, and can even take a dunk in the pool.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Or if you have power outside and a roof over your terrace, simply use a Play1. Works perfect for me.
That is a good solution if your listening areas do not go much beyond the covered areas. In such cases, the power outlet will also be in a place where water ingress is not an issue.
The reason bluetooth is now an acceptable solution is because of how easily music can be accessed from any of the many streaming services on the net. And any cheap or hand me down phone can be dedicated to being the music source. Yes, the music will not play in sync with that inside, but this is usually not an issue out of doors. And if it is, the wired speakers running back to Sonos indoors is the answer. Extending speaker wire to the pool/other areas out of doors is a one time effort, but a similar effort would be needed to power Sonos wireless speakers as well, with the additional expense of eliminating the risk of mains power sockets in an out of doors environment.