Answered

UNABLE TO SYNC REMOTE TO BEAM

• 6 August 2020
  • 4 replies

Yesterday I received my Sonos Beam and went through the setup. I can get sound working out of the Beam but have not been able to sync my remote to control volume.

TV model: SAMSUNG UA65JS9000

Remote Model: RMCTPJ1AP2 / BN59-01220D

I do not run any set top box or any other device out of the TV. It is purely just the TV connected to the Sonos. I don't care about Siri, Alexa or whatever other garbage assistant products that are everywhere now. All I want is to hear sounds from my tv out of a speaker I just dropped $600+ on and be able to control it with the tv remote.

I've tried going into the tv settings and setting up the universal remote to add Sonos but all the instructions online assume that you also have other devices connected which I don't.

I have searched through all forums that discuss connecting Samsung remotes that use the connect one brain/module etc and nothing works.

I have also tried 3 other remotes for other Samsung TV's in the house that are just standard IR remotes and none of them work either.

When I get to the remote control setup part in the Sonos app, the remote just isn't recognised by the Beam.

The most annoying thing is that I can hear the ticking sound through the speaker when I press the volume button so I know it is sending a signal.

I am so unimpressed with this product at this point and if I can't get it sorted by the end of the day, it's going back to the shop for a refund.

I can't believe it is this difficult to setup a bloody speaker.

I could understand if my tv was a cheap no name product but it's a Samsung, you would think it would be straight forward.

If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 6 August 2020, 14:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If the Beam is connected via HDMI-ARC (as is best) and Anynet (HDMI-CEC) is turned on on your Samsung, the TV controls the Beam’s volume. No need to sync the remote....

It may also be working already and you don’t release it.  My Samsung TV moves the volume up/down in very small increments that are barely noticeable.

If the Beam is connected via HDMI-ARC (as is best) and Anynet (HDMI-CEC) is turned on on your Samsung, the TV controls the Beam’s volume. No need to sync the remote....

Cheers mate, that's exactly what I ended up doing and it's working as you said. 

I was under the impression that Optical was better so I never even tried the ARC connection until just after I posted the question. But if ARC is better then that's great.

Boy, was I frustrated when I couldn't get the remote sync working with the app while it was running optical. I could hear the remote ticking but it wasn't controlling the volume or registering on the app. 

Anyway, all good now on HDMI-ARC so no dramas!

Thanks again for the reply. Hopefully this thread helps someone else in the future too

It may also be working already and you don’t release it.  My Samsung TV moves the volume up/down in very small increments that are barely noticeable.

Nah definitely wasn't working. Drive me almost insane.

All good now though, hooked up with ARC instead.

Thanks anyway!