Trueplay for living room - Sonos one stereo pair with sub

• 14 March 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

After reading and researching for a while from a lot of experienced audiophile users on this community I decided to return my play 5 and get the ones stereo paired + sub. The first time I turned it own I was amazed by the sound quality and details. 

Although I am still not sure if I should use trueplay. My living room is a little over 20 by 16 ft and also opens to a kitchen area which is 12 by 7fr. Also has a little echo effect when I clap my hands.

Trueplay does bring out excellent sound quality but feels dampens the bass.I have tried a lot of eq settings on bass level and sub output level.

I read a few forums where it said bass doesnt dampen much if you trueplay only on the immediate area and not walk around to a larger area in my case till the kitchen open area as well,

1. Does it really matter by the area you cover while doing trueplay
  2. How about turning off the trueplay and just choosing the best eq that sounds to me. Although I really enjoy the details and clarity the true play brings out

Right now my settings are on eq bass +1 and sub +3

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

At the end of the day, it is up to you, and your ears. TruePlay is a system that adjusts the sound, as best as possible, to some sound field that someone at Sonos programmed to sound ‘best’. But that audio ‘best’ may not match what your ears think is ‘best’.  But assuming you’ve placed your speakers appropriately, the amount of modification would be minor by TruePlay.

I use TruePlay to set a baseline, and then adjust from there. I tend to like a little more bass than TruePlay sets. But you’re the one who needs to like the sound you’re listening to. Do whatever suits you. 

Badge +1

Thanks. I like more bass too. What's your setup if I may ask? And the eq, sub setting 

Depends on the ‘room’. For the home theater rooms, it is plus two on bass, plus Loudness. On most of the stereo pairs used for music, it’s plus 3 on bass, plus Loudness. Not all rooms have not been TruePlayed, though. 

But that’s for my rooms, and my ears. Your mileage will absolutely vary. 

Badge +1

Do you have the sub also with the stereo pair?

No, I don’t. Haven’t found the need, but if you’re offering, I’d be happy to accept the gift, and hook it up. 

Badge +1

Lol. Get it and try on return basis. Pretty sure u wouldn't let it go. It adds the most value to one stereo pair

I’ve already got two, both are bonded to PLAYBARs.

I Trueplay tuned my beam and rear Ones and I found it really helped making decent bass while preventing the Ones from bottoming out during music. I've since added a sub and ran Trueplay again and am not happy with the sound. I've since turned it off because my ears were feeling irritated. I researched it a little and I think the problem is Trueplay has made the sound too sharp. Everything sounds too tight and concentrated. It"s hard to explain but when I turn Trueplay off, it's like the sound field opens up and is more pleasing.

I consider TruePlay to be a tool that gets the system to a specific sound, from which I can then modify to my own tastes. I don’t expect my ears to work the same as SCP very one else's.