Question

Trueplay Bass Distortion on Play:1

I recently set up Trueplay on a couple of Play:1s that I own. When testing out the post-Trueplay calibration sound I discovered bass distortion once I dialed up the speaker to about half-way on the volume bar (my EQ had bass and treble right in the middle and Loudness was turned off). At first I thought it was an issue with my speaker, but turning off Trueplay removed the distortion issue. The best way to describe the distortion is that it is a deep popping bass sound like occurs intermittently (maybe once every couple of seconds, but that depends on how bass heavy the song is).

Anyone else having this issue with a Trueplay-tuned Play:1?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

I have a jbl extreme I replaced My play one with it, it has much better sound at much higher volumes. But if they sorted the play 1’s little distortion hick then the play one would smash the extreme easily, it’s a real shame, the play one has great potential for good sound at higher volumes, if only they sorted it out.
There is clearly a problem with Trueplay and the Play 1. I exchanged my previous Play 1 with a new one, only to find Trueplay creates the exact same bass pop issue. I don't understand why Sonos doesn't fix this problem in the next software update. Without Trueplay, the Play 1 sounds muddy and flat. No matter how much you adjust the Treble and Bass. Trueplay reduces that mud but gives you the bass pop. I couldn't recommend the Play 1 to anyone.
This problem would be fixed if Sonos gave the customer a comprehensive EQ not just a Treble and Bass. It is embarrassing that the Play 1 potential is locked. Please let us have a proper EQ.
A proper EQ is needed badly, you should be able to tune the sound to your liking, I wish they would put a proper EQ on it, and lose the bass and treble controls.
Trueplay on my Sonos 1 worked for a while without distortion but I recently moved it to another room and after re-tuning the bass clipping / distortion is back. I tried re-tuning a number of times but no luck.

I just turn Trueplay off for the Play 1 and use the manual EQ instead.

Not ideal but workable.
Yes hopefully Sonos fix this Trueplay issue in a software update. Trueplay seems to ‘overdrive’ the bottom end resulting in these bass pops. I wish Sonos would implement a proper ten channel EQ. I ran my Mac through my Play 5 line in and used the iTunes EQ. The Play 1 sounded great with none of the bass pop and a sparkling treble range. The music didn’t sound muddy as it normally does just using the Sonos EQ. Such a shame the potential of this speaker is locked out of reach of the customer. Fingers crossed for that update .??
Trueplay still broken on the Play 1 in this latest update. 😞
Badge
Has anyone found a solution for this yet. I just bought a play 1 and came across this problem. If no solution is there a walk around?
I have the same issue, just bought my first play one to see what it was like before buying a second.
Badge +1
Same for me on a new Play one. Bass blowing out after Trueplay tuning.
Badge +1
My diagnostics number is 8308181.

Playing Breathe (Nora En Pure remix) - SeeB, the bass blows after each beat. I've tried re-tuning but the only way to reduce the bad effect is turning off loudness or trueplay.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I’ve had the same issue on my kitchen play 1. Rang support in Australia 3 times over the last 6 months about it. Each time I rang I was told “wow we have not heard of this issue before.”

The second and third calls were taken by the same guy..... :/

Sonos don’t care. They already have our money.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Oh and the new sonos one has the same issue. Just heard it first hand in store demo.
Badge
I'm just curious if everyone whos having this problem here if it's under these two circumstances: 1. Trueplay on 2. Volume just under the middle of the volume slider? I'm really trying to figure this out as I love the sound of these speakers when I don't experience that clipping noise. Iv moved my play 1 to my computer desk and it plays very well until the volume reaches near the middle of the slider. and if you go over the middle it seems to be ok as well. We need to keep on the team about this issue.
Badge
We need to keep on this issue. It's like buying a new car that comes with air condition but it just blows hot air if you turn it on halfway. Then the car company just keeps telling you that they have never heard of this issue before and that you should just not use the air condition for now. This issue was first posted back in 2015 and it's still present today.
Badge +1
Yes, i see the same thing one dance tracks. I've managed to curtail it by running with loudness and dropping bass to around 35% on the slider. It goes when i turn up past halfway point but i guess that's the curves cutting bass as volume grows.
Badge +1
Just been on with Sonos and have to say after a reset and retune it's slightly better. It's still there, but not as bad. Tomorrow I have to retune again but focus on where I normally sit, not the whole room.
Badge
Just been on with Sonos and have to say after a reset and retune it's slightly better. It's still there, but not as bad. Tomorrow I have to retune again but focus on where I normally sit, not the whole room.

Were you on the phone with them? Keep us posted. They want me to give them a call, hopefully, I can find the time next week.
Badge +1

Were you on the phone with them? Keep us posted. They want me to give them a call, hopefully, I can find the time next week.

FB Messanger, I couldn't find a number for love nor money.

Will do.
At the bottom of this page, click on the link "Contact Us". Then click on the link on the right side at the top that says "Skip to see all options' and you should get a page that shows you Twitter, Phone and email options.

Frustrating how many clicks it takes, and how it's "hidden". While I recognize the desire to point people to other forms of contact, the phone numbers shouldn't be hidden, especially as they are now doing much more of the "you need to call in and talk to a technician" response here in the boards.
Badge

Any luck?
“retune again but focus on where I normally sit, not the whole room.”

I tried this right now with my sonos one, and much more happy with the sound. Just try 🙂
Badge
Can you guys please tell me what music services you were using when you got the popping clipping noises from your speakers?
Userlevel 1
Badge
This thread is 2 years old and there's still no fix? I'm having the same problem with a stereo pair of Play:1s I just got for my kitchen, a bass pop/whelp is so bad, it makes it unbearable to listen to. Like others on here, if I turn Trueplay off, it seems to basically completely go away, thus, clearly not a hardware issue (but the remaining EQ settings doesn't quite get the overall sound quality/other frequencies back).

I'll note that I've had a stereo pair in my bedroom for a year and never had a similar issue. I'm wondering if it's a room/speaker placement issue. My kitchen is smaller and shaped like an L, and thus the Play1:s are placed perpendicular. I really hope Sonos has actually been testing Trueplay in all sorts of room configurations, I'd be surprised if they can't replicate the issue. For the time being, I believe they should update the software to allow "fine tuning" after Truplay. The bass and treble sliders simply don't cut it. Oh I'm playing from my own music library, so it's not a streaming music issue.
Badge
This thread is 2 years old and there's still no fix? I'm having the same problem with a stereo pair of Play:1s I just got for my kitchen, a bass pop/whelp is so bad, it makes it unbearable to listen to. Like others on here, if I turn Trueplay off, it seems to basically completely go away, thus, clearly not a hardware issue (but the remaining EQ settings doesn't quite get the overall sound quality/other frequencies back).

I'll note that I've had a stereo pair in my bedroom for a year and never had a similar issue. I'm wondering if it's a room/speaker placement issue. My kitchen is smaller and shaped like an L, and thus the Play1:s are placed perpendicular. I really hope Sonos has actually been testing Trueplay in all sorts of room configurations, I'd be surprised if they can't replicate the issue. For the time being, I believe they should update the software to allow "fine tuning" after Truplay. The bass and treble sliders simply don't cut it. Oh I'm playing from my own music library, so it's not a streaming music issue.

Try the same song that created the popping in your kitchen and do it in the bedroom at about just under mid level volume and please let me know if it made the popping
Userlevel 1
Badge
Try the same song that created the popping in your kitchen and do it in the bedroom at about just under mid level volume and please let me know if it made the popping

I have the speakers playing simultaneously. I can walk back and forth and very clearly tell the difference. Volume doesn't matter much, anything greater than 15-20% causes the issue. Also, It is obvious with a majority of the music in my library (90% or more). I just don't know if "pop" is the right way to explain it (hard to explain sound in words). Best way I can put into words is maybe like the bass is "gulping"...totally distorted and sounding very off, usually with the first beat (kick drum) of a 4/4 dance/electronic music track.