Sounds stops randomly since update

• 10 July 2020
  • 5 replies

I have a pair of gen 2 Sonos Play 5 configured for stereo and hardwired into my television.  Since the recent update, the sound randomly stops.  The moment I open the app on my phone, the sound returns.  I do nothing with the app.  This happens several times an hour.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @shifter952.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to ask some questions to better understand what is going on and for me to be able to understand and provide you with the most accurate guide.

• Does this happen only while generating TV audio? (can we try regular cable, satellite cable, in app videos like Youtube or Netflix. Does the Play 5 behave the same regardless of the source?) You may want to consider submitting a diagnostic while this is on-going so we can check and have proper documentation.
  • Have we tried playing music to check if it behaves differently? (if it plays continuously with no stops or skips, Play 5 works fine). You may want to consider submitting a diagnostic while this is on-going so we can check and have proper documentation.
  • Can we try using a 3.5 mm headphone jack on both ends to connect our mobile phone to check if they would work or have the same problem? (if it does not work but the above recommendation works, possible 3.5 mm cord is defective.). You may want to consider submitting a diagnostic while this is on-going so we can check and have proper documentation.
  • Can we check by actually connecting a pair of headphones to the TV to check if it would work or have the same problem. (If it does not work, possible defective headphone port on TV). You may want to consider submitting a diagnostic while this is on-going so we can check and have proper documentation.

Please let me know how it goes. These isolation guides would point us to the right direction. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

We had been having troubles with the occasional streaming hiccup on the TV.  Also we were having connection issues using our phones in the same room.  The wifi hub was upstairs on the other end of the house.  I moved the wifi hub to the TV room and connected the TV directly.  Now, we have had no issues with the TV, our phones, or the Sonos 5 speakers.  Perhaps the new update has made the speakers react differently when the wifi connection sucked?  We never had this issue before the update to the Sonos software.  And now all the troubles are gone.  Thanks for all of the input!

Oh carp.  It is back.  I will start going to through the checklist sent in an earlier post.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @shifter952.

Thanks for the immediate feedback.

Please give the checklist a try and let us know about the outcome. I would also like to recommend submitting a diagnostic while the issue is on going for us to check what is going on with the Sonos devices.

Please let me know how it goes. We’re always here to help out.

Thanks.

I know it has been awhile, but some updates.  The issue is still happening, but it isn’t as I initially described.  Yes, the sound stops occasionally, but what brings it back 3 seconds later is my wife with the Sonos app.  Until recently, she never mentioned she was fixing it. Perhaps I am losing connection to the Sonos from my phone or from the router?  Recently the problem doesn’t happen as often.  (At times it would happen every 2 minutes.)  Perhaps rearranging the furniture and now the router and speakers are in a more direct path. The Sonos speakers are in the bottom of the TV cabinet, under the TV.