Sonos speakers and no internet

• 29 November 2020
  • 3 replies

We've had several occasions where we lost internet for a day or two (we live in the middle of nowhere in east Texas). We own 15 Sonos speakers and listen to them all the time.  My favorite music source is my mp3 library stored on a NAS drive.  When internet is down,, the network is still up but I can't connect to the controller and manage the music and the speakers.  So my question is "When an SHTF event happens,  (and it will), how am I going to still enjoy my thousands of dollars of Sonos speakers"? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It seems as though there is something odd going on. Your controller device should still be connecting to your router, and the speakers should still be doing so as well. You should be able to play local files without issue on your already existing system. While your external internet is down, you wouldn’t be able to add new devices, but that’s not what you’re saying. 

Is there some odd reason that your router depends on there being an external signal? When I lose an outside connection, my Netgear continues, and I can still access my NAS, my iPhone still connects to my router,  and tells my speakers to play music without issue. 

After reading your reply,  I rebooted my router (my internet is down right now).  I connected my android phone to the network and sure enough the sonos controller is working.   I feel dumb.  Thanks. 

Heh, don’t. You didn’t know something, now you do. That’s good.