Sonos roam offline.......

In the app my roam shows as offline and occasionally it decides to show itself! Is anyone else having this problem? Oh, and the battery life is horrendous so far. If it doesn't improve very soon I suppose I'll have to take it back. Can anyone recommend a good Alexa enabled speaker for the bathroom?? 😳

13 replies

Userlevel 7

When the Roam is in sleep mode, it often takes a few seconds for the Roam to wake after you open the Sonos app. I’ve noticed the fastest way to wake the Roam is if you go directly to Settings > System.

So far the Sonos Roam is a piece of trash.

Got mine in this week and used it for the first time today.  Was working fine, then hit the pause button on the speaker and the Roam has been unresponsive ever since.  Just a blinking orange light.  Hard reset doesn’t work and will not turn on or off.  

Any recommendations other than returning it?

If by hard reset, you mean a factory reset, I would recommend that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available for them to assist you.

Thanks Keith.  Yeah I’ll call them on Monday.

Sonos Roam set up is a real problem.  Numerous call into technical support (Sonos) and still not working properly!  Once the Roam is paused it goes into sleep mode offline and will not reset.  I’ve restored it to factory mode 5 or 6 times.  I will try again with Tech. Support tomorrow.  If that fails I am returning the Roam!  Too frustrating and lacks the intuitive flare of the Sonos product line.  

Steve

Badge

I have been having exact same problem last few nights while staying in a hotel. The roam was working night 1 and now displays a solid orange light and no amount of pressing/holding the rear button changes this. I guess I will leave it off charger next few days and see what happens. Not exactly the quality I have come to expect and rely on from Sonos.

What charger are you using? What are its electrical ratings?

Userlevel 2

Of course the same thing happens to me right before a party!  Very frustrating.  And this is after I finally decide to re-invest in Sonos.  Two of my older speakers only serve as anchors.

I stopped my Roam playing using the app about 20 minutes ago as I need to charge the roam battery. I went to check the battery status in the app to find the Roam showing as offline. I have not lost my network and I have a solid white light on the Roam. I pressed the play button on the Roam and it is now playing the last music selected (Spotify) BUT still showing offline in the App. So it looks like a bug in the App and not the Roam. BTW the roam is sat on its wireless charger which is plugged in, it was at 100% this morning and dropped to 63% over about 2 hours playing.

I thought I had better check the App and even though its set to automatically update it hadn’t. I have just manually updated and my Roam is now visible. MMM not the Roams fault, its more about the app!

every morning, many evenings, 1-4 of my Roams go off line

they are fully charged

sometimes a reset works

sometimes you can’t even hit the support button on the iOS software

went from love, to frustrated, to rather upset in just a few weeks

every morning, many evenings, 1-4 of my Roams go off line

they are fully charged

sometimes a reset works

sometimes you can’t even hit the support button on the iOS software

went from love, to frustrated, to rather upset in just a few weeks

Is this whilst the Roam is ‘on’ or ‘off’ the charger? 

• On a charger a Roam should remain awake at all times.
  • Off the charger, in general terms, the Roam sleeps after 30 minutes of inactivity.

The sleeping Roam can be woken in several ways 

1. Quick press on rear power button
  2. Opening the S2 Sonos App on the network**
  3. Returning the device to a charger (Qi or USB)

**If the Sonos App wakes the Roam, but it’s not used, then it returns to sleep mode after 3 minutes (off the charger, of course).

Hope that info. assists.

I just sent back my 3rd Sonos Roam for replacement. The first couple of them didn’t play at all, or cut out quickly. The last one worked for a few weeks, then would go into offline mode and could not be made to reconnect. I tried multiple chargers, reboots, etc. We’ll see if the 4th one that they send to me works. I have a large Sonos network in 2 homes, and this is the first product that has failed repeatedly. It seems like Sonos needs to own up to the fact that there are some design flaws with this product, fix it, and make it up to the owners. Or just replace the Roam product altogether with something better. 

I really want a small, portable, rechargeable, good sounding Sonos. It doesn’t seem like too much to ask for.