Answered

Sonos Play 5 just stopped work after less than 5 years

• 11 December 2021
  • 12 replies

My Sonos Play5 just stopped working today. It doesn’t get any juice anymore. I used to think that Sonos was a high quality product.

From an ecological perspective I don’t think I want to buy a product that only lasts 5 years

From a commercial perspective I don’t see how a 15% reduction offered by support would make up for this defect. Are consumers supposed to spend almost 600 euros ever y 5 years on new Sonos products?

icon

Best answer by amun 11 December 2021, 14:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

My Sonos Play5 just stopped working today. It doesn’t get any juice anymore. I used to think that Sonos was a high quality product.

From an ecological perspective I don’t think I want to buy a product that only lasts 5 years

From a commercial perspective I don’t see how a 15% reduction offered by support would make up for this defect. Are consumers supposed to spend almost 600 euros ever y 5 years on new Sonos products?

That is unfortunate.  Obviously you feel aggrieved to have joined the forum today to make your feelings known.  But do you really believe they all misfunction after 5 years or is that just contrived indignation?  

Have you spoken to Sonos about this?

Are you absolutely sure the fuse in the plug hasn’t blown?

Hi John,

I joined indeed only the forum because I’m super disappointed.

Of course I do not believe that every Sonos product will destroy itself after 5 years but given that this seems to be an issue reported by others in this forum I understand that I’m not the only one. 

Hence I’m surprised that Sonos only offered a 15% reduction for a known issue and did not offer any ways to repair it or refer me to someone who can.

Yes I’m sure the fuse hasn’t blown. 

@DeCharly,
Of course this can unfortunately happen with any electrical product and it’s horrible when it does happen, but that’s why there is ‘small appliance’ insurance policies we can take out after a manufacturers guarantee runs out.

In the U.K. cover is in the region of £10pm for three named appliances upto a replacement cost of £1000 each. So that’s perhaps something worthy of consideration in the future, if you are concerned about these sort of issues. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Smart home sounds offer a 6 year guarantee on sonos products 

My Sonos Play5 just stopped working today. It doesn’t get any juice anymore.

You may be able to find a company in your country that will fix them. My Play 5 Gen 1 went wrong and a company fixed it for about a quarter of the cost of a replacement Sonos unit - even allowing for their 15% discount.

Userlevel 2

hey what country are you from ?

having my own play 5 blinking white lights.

hey what country are you from ?

having my own play 5 blinking white lights.

That usually means the device is booting or looking for an IP address from your router …

See this link for information regarding the device Status LED:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226

You may be able to find a company in your country that will fix them. My Play 5 Gen 1 went wrong and a company fixed it for about a quarter of the cost of a replacement Sonos unit - even allowing for their 15% discount.

You are lucky to have and then to find such a disappearing skill in your location! I recently read in the Verge something to the effect that - perhaps paying lip service to the cause, or may be as a genuine effort - Sonos is looking to make their kit modular such that it can be repaired more easily than it can be today. Not much help to the OP, but progress of sorts.

I also read in the same article that efforts are on to reduce the standby power consumption of all Sonos products.

Same here my Play5 (Gen1) stopped working and plug from the device sent me some electric shock when touch it. Was also about to expand my set up but will out things on hold now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Same here my Play5 (Gen1) stopped working and plug from the device sent me some electric shock when touch it. Was also about to expand my set up but will out things on hold now.

Have you contacted Sonos, they may offer you discount on newer devices.

Have you contacted Sonos, they may offer you discount on newer devices.

I will but the device was working perfectly and decided to die. Was thinking it would last much more than this…

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

And they normally do.  I had a Play 5 Gen 1 fail after just under 3 years, and got a great deal on the newer model, so was happy.  My brother has 3 that are still going strong after over 10 years.  

It’s just the electronic luck of the draw.